How can I distinguish between male and female Frontosa ?

RedWild

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 26, 2006
Hong Kong
Dear Community !
I am planning to buy 4 Frontosa. I saw in a local fish shop today has a batch of them , 1 to 2 inches, around hundreds of them in a tank. But the thing is I want to buy 2 pairs ( 2 males and 2 females ), but I am new to this kind of fish so I have no idea how to regconize which one is a male or which one is a female, since they're small too.

Or I just have to pray for luck and randomly pick the fish ?

Thanks alots for ur helps.

toehead11183

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2006
Memphis, tn
i bought 7 fronts 5 months ago. i have two that are much bigger than the rest. it's safe to assume those are males. if you get four, you have a good chance of have at least one male or one female.

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
Fronts are accurately sexed by 'venting' to check the size of the reproductive organs. However, even experienced breeders have a difficult time venting specimens under 4 inches.

mike dunagan

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 11, 2006
Pendleton, IN
www.freewebs.com
also, I have heard or been told that fronts breed best in colonies. 2 males to 4-6 females. Just what I have seen. I have seen single pairs, but never actually seen those spawn.

RedWild

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 26, 2006
Hong Kong
Oddball;740714; said:
Fronts are accurately sexed by 'venting' to check the size of the reproductive organs. However, even experienced breeders have a difficult time venting specimens under 4 inches.
That's right. Even the fish shop owner told me he couldn't identify which one is male or female by that size.
Anway, thanks alot for all your guys helps, great community. ;)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store