Is it normal?

Tythefishguy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 21, 2014
Texas
Ever since I got my wallago it acts like its playing dead and just kind of floats there, sometimes even straight vertical. Nothing is wrong all water levels are fine and he still hand feeds from me. Is it just something they do? I have no knowledge on them except for the size they grow to. Any help is appreciated.

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Normal. One of my three small bullheads does that. He'll swim up the side of the tank slowly then motionlessly drift back down and repeat it for a while before he goes and plays with the other bullheads. I think they're bored :)

Tythefishguy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 21, 2014
Texas
Normal. One of my three small bullheads does that. He'll swim up the side of the tank slowly then motionlessly drift back down and repeat it for a while before he goes and plays with the other bullheads. I think they're bored :)

That's so weird, I guess I'll have to get more because all mine has to play with is a big RTC lol

Zeke

Banned
Jan 29, 2014
chattavegas
I think that your RTC is keeping it from settling down somewhere in the tank. Not really bullying, but not letting it act like normal either. Sometimes both of my Wallago species swim like that ,but unless you're Wallago is swimming into some type of current in that corner, I wouldn't say that it's completely normal. I think it's there because it feels safer away from the RTC. Just my opinion. Thanks

Tythefishguy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 21, 2014
Texas
I think that your RTC is keeping it from settling down somewhere in the tank. Not really bullying, but not letting it act like normal either. Sometimes both of my Wallago species swim like that ,but unless you're Wallago is swimming into some type of current in that corner, I wouldn't say that it's completely normal. I think it's there because it feels safer away from the RTC. Just my opinion. Thanks
The RTC is actually really calm and he stays on the other side of the tank. I've been watching it all day and I noticed my wolf fish is getting a little grumpy when they come close to each other

Zeke

Banned
Jan 29, 2014
chattavegas
I figured it was avoiding something in the tank. Like going home a different route from school to avoid a bully! Lol!!! What species of Wallago is it? Leerii?

Tythefishguy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 21, 2014
Texas
I figured it was avoiding something in the tank. Like going home a different route from school to avoid a bully! Lol!!! What species of Wallago is it? Leerii?
Haha yeah exactly! It's a leerii. Both him and my intermedius wolf are about 18 inches and my red tail is about 24 inches

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
It's normally my dominant bullhead that does that so I doubt it's bullying in most cases.

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
It's normally my dominant bullhead that does that so I doubt it's bullying in most cases.
My bullhead does the same exact thing....scared me at first. He swims up to my hornwart/pothos tangled mess in the corner of the tank (the crayfish keep tangling them up...I gave up having nice things in that tank lol..) wedges himself straight up and down in the pothos and then just sits there...sometimes all day. he uses the plants like a hammock lol.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store