Nimbochromis questions...

Dark Rose

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 27, 2013
United States
So I was just looking up some fish from another thread, and that led me to some questions...

I know venustus, livingtonii, fusco, and polystigma are closely related (same genus)...

1. What's the difference in temperament and size between a fusco and livingstonii? Except for more red on the fusco they look almost identical...

2. At what size (roughly) do venustus start getting the more blue coloration on the face? Mine is over 5" and no blue showing yet...

3. Would a venustus, livingstonii, fusco, and polystigma be able to hold their own against each other? I've got a venustus and livingstonii now (my 2nd livingstonii, I miss my first), always wanted a polystigma... And hadn't seen a fusco until today and I'd love to have one...

If they'd get along together then I'd have to look at the chance of mass murder with the rest of their tankmates, lol. Between outbreaks of murderous intent off and on (that I think are solved again), my tank needs heavier stocked again so looking at options.

Thanks!

Sent from my SM-N900V using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

fishnatics

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Mar 1, 2008
Wisconsin
If you're going for an all male tank, then it might work. Put some females in then hell will break loose with the males. My 9" venustus fought constantly with my 9" fusco cause they were a pair. Those 2 were at the top for dominance. My Fusco is extremely aggressive towards everything that swims!! If he can't eat them, he'll kill or beat them up badly. GL

Dark Rose

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 27, 2013
United States
Well its supposed to be an all-male tank but there was a female that I removed and now I just found out my venustus is a female as well!
Hoping to find someone in the area to make a swap with for a male of something I'd like.

Sent from my SM-N900V using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store