DIY disaster broken aquarium please help

catfishguy

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 25, 2014
moon
So I went down to my room after church and a heard drip drip drip then I saw my aquarium half empty and a MASSIVE leak in the corner of my 150 gallon aquarium and I bought the aquarium 2 years ago from a guy who swore he didn't it himself but I know he did because of the way it as looked. When I looked at it the glass was bent and it forced the silicon apart and there was a huge leak. Luckily I put them all in a giant bucket so what do I do all the seals on the aquarium are bad do I re chalk them all. So do a fix it, make a plywood aquarium or buy a new aquarium. where can I buy glass for a plywood aquarium. And how do I calculate the thickness of the plywood.

Thanks

Castlk

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2013
Long Island, New York
Wow that's a lot of water to have to clean up, good luck hope you get it resolved.

Heretik

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2013
The Great White North
I would reseal the tank its much easier than people think. Just make sure you remove all old silicone and clean very thoroughly. Old silicone does not adhere well at all to new silicone.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Mymonsterfish

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 25, 2013
St Paul, MN
You can use that glass to make a plywood aquarium. Get most of what you need straight from home depot and use epoxy to water proof it. The glass thickness is measured thickness to height.

Sent from my SM-N900T using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Gill Blue

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2011
michigan
it sounds like the tank bowed? the glass bulged out and that separated the silicone from the glass?
if you repair it, you'll need a cross brace to prevent the glass from bowing.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store