Sexing Electric Blue Jack Dempseys

pwrseller

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 5, 2014
Delaware
Anyone have any experience breeding Ebjd's? I have quite a few dempseys of different morphs and always have trouble sexing the electric blues. Is there any sure way in your experience to sex by looking at them. My other dempseys are easy to sex, but I almost always have to wait for the blues to start pairing off to figure out the sex. Any help is appreciated. Thanks

ShadowP

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2015
Southeastern North Carolina
Maybe this will help. The darker more solidly colored fish is the male. The more grey-blue fish is the female, but note that the lowe portion of the operculum is still more intense blue. But as usual, there are still no absolutes. Note the colorof same female about 4 months later Iin the POTM contest April 2015. Huge difference!!!
P010415_2115b.jpgP031415_2329.jpg

P010415_2115b.jpg

P031415_2329.jpg

Thekid

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 18, 2014
Land of corn

Thekid

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 18, 2014
Land of corn
How much are they going for at your LFS?
One Lfs has lower quality ones for $25 and one has some at $50 for higher quality ones like the ones above with more sparkly things.

Both are sold at the same size.

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

ShadowP

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2015
Southeastern North Carolina
Never buy the inferior stock. You can't truly be certain if any problems you see are due to genetic deformity, malnutrition when much younger, or if it is caused by damage from toxic levels of ammonia during the early growth stages.
Distributors will learn not to accept inferior fish from breeders; and breeders will learn to take better care of the progeny they provide.
Problem fish hardly ever "fix themselves with better care" and almost always fall short of the potential they were born with. More often than not, you will not get lucky with the inferior fish and the money wasted on inferior losses and maintaining "the survivors" could easily have been applied to better purchases (with patience) and with less hassels during their lifespan.
Common problems associated with the inferior specimens (besides the deformities) include more prone to disease, tumorous growths, shorter lifespan as compared to others of their species under similar conditions, and a biggie... sterility of the inferior specimens moreso than the less and non deformed of the same species. That my friends is a death nail in the future of this hobby for any given species bred to the levels of rampant deformities.

If you are willing to purchase crappie fish (and I don't mean bluegill and perch), your LFS will be more than happy to acquire them for you by the hundreds. You all know a good fish when you see one. Don't sell yourselves short. This applied patience will also help keep you from overstocking a tank so fast and you will usually be much happier with the long term results.

Do you really want a deformed or inferior fish for breeder stock? People do want to know what the parents look like.
OK... so you don't plan on breeding them. Where will you stand if ever you change your mind and you have inferior adult fish?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store