pet store filtration

dovii_6

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2014
Asheville NC
So im opening up a aquarium store and im falling short of how to build my filtration system actually i have literally no idea where to begin im kind of lost thought id reach out to you guys wondering if someone could help. or mybe at least maybe send me in the right direction

Tojo09

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 30, 2009
Bay Area CA
Do you have a blue print of your total space, and where the tanks will be and the size? Thats the place to start. A central unit can be easier to clean but if you get a sickness that can be trouble.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

joe jaskot

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2011
Clifton, NJ
For the least amount of problems nix the central system and go with individual filters in the tanks. Sponge filters or box filters work well.

Gill Blue

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2011
michigan
hard to say.
how do you want to do it? a filter system for all tanks or individual filtration for each tank?
personally I'd run either UGF or hamburg mattenfilters. that way an infection in one tank won't spread to the others.

lardieleftover

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2014
san diego
Good idea on the UGF, to contain posible infections and help qt new arrivals, you could have a few decent sized dumps that handle say 4 or 5 tanks of 30gal+. Perhaps. Or you could have a central system that is loaded with uv. Maybe

that_fish_Guy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2013
CA
What I'm going to do whenever I can open mine is have several tanks powered by an aireator and have one sponge and one box filter per tank powered by air, easy and simple...for larger tanks they will be ran by shared sumps. Anything over 75 gallon will have seperate filtration all together.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Apexden

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 17, 2011
USA
forgot the name of the filters......sponge wall on one side with a power head, cheap and easy

Yoimbrian

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 11, 2013
Twin cities
What do you have so far?

My closest LFS just has sponge filters on the tanks with little fish. When they get big fish they have a few hobs or canisters they keep around and cycled. Central systems in a store with lots of stock turnover screams disease outbreak. You could go central sump style (another LFS has about a 1000 gallon sump in the basement) but with crazy good filters and also a massive massive UV system.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store