Wintering turtles

follen

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 30, 2008
england
Hi I live in the uk and have 4 turtles 2 musks at 5" a map at 8" and a yellow slider at 7". In the summer they stay in my garden in a pond, it has now taken a turn with the weather, for the moment they are in a green house in a free standing pond. Will they be ok during a uk winter in a green house ? I do have a pitch black basement they can go in but as I said there isn't any light for them. What do you suggest? Np

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Vicious_Fish

Here fishy fishy fishy...
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2007
South Central...
How deep is either of the ponds? All of those species should easily be able to survive a winter there as long as they have water deep enough to avoid freezing solid in. They will need substrate to properly bury into for hibernation as well.

follen

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 30, 2008
england
Pond is Round 1 ft deep prob around 200g it's one of the ones you would dig into the ground. There isn't any real land from to get into other than some large pieces of wood. Do you think they would be better of in a nice warm basement where the boiler is rather than out in the cold?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Z Trip

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2006
Canada
Instead of hibernating the turtles. I would just set up a small pond indoors and keep the turtles going all year round.

Z Trip

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2006
Canada
30 gallons would only work for the musk turtles. The other two need something far larger. I think bringing them in is the safest way to keep your turtles alive.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store