Where do you get your decorations?

Nigelk8485

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 3, 2014
Louisville, KY
I am setting up a 150 gallon tank soon, planning on one lemon oscar, one super red severum, a featherfin catfish, and some silver dollars.

I'll have a sand substrate and really like the look of natural aquariums, large river rocks, twisted wood, etc. I've been looking around at pet stores in Louisville and Indiana and it seems like mostly everything they sell is either way too small or way too fake looking. Where do you all find your decorations? I'm a little hesitant about using anything found in the Ohio River, simply because it's a disgusting river. Any advice on some places to look or would you just go the river route and be sure to prep everything well before introducing it to a tank?

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

that_fish_Guy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2013
CA
York best bet is finding it. Wood rocks anything is fine just really scrub the rocks and do the vinegar test. If it bubbles or sizzles it's no good. If it dosent it's fine. Boil or pressure wash the wood. If you pressure wash pour some boiling water over it and soak it in a bin to make sure tannins are mostly out. Or you can make decor. Get fake plants like from Michaels arts and crafts(they sometimes have some nice leafy plants that look aquatic) and silicone the artificial plants to rocks as an anchor. be sure not to get the fake plant leaves with the metal rods in them. Otherwise I don't know what else to suggest

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Heretik

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2013
The Great White North
Some nice stones can be found by rivers, lakes, creeks etc. All ive ever done is powerwash them and a good scrubbing and they're good to go. Same can be said about wood that you find. Just make sure its not a soft wood as it will rot and your tank params will be affected. This is what i do and ive never had a problem. I'm not the type of person to pay 50-100 bucks for a piece of wood nor 1.50-3 bucks a pound for rocks, that is just ridiculous imho. Check out local landscaping companies as well, they are very cheap and usually have a decent selction.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

vr6fan

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2010
Waukesha, WI
Local brick or stone companies have great deals....instead of paying $6.99 a lb for nice slate at my lfs I bought a huge remnant sheet (85 lbs) for about $15...do the math that's a deal

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
Where do you live ?
For rocks I go to patio supply stores
For the drift woods I dont like ordering online I would rather be able ro see exactly what I am getting

Sent from my SPH-L710 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Rivers2k

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2011
NY
I got my rocks from along the side of the road. Play sand from home depote. I purchased gravel, driftwood, and plants from LFS.

Heretik

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2013
The Great White North
Along the side of the road is another great place to look lol

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Gill Blue

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2011
michigan
a lot of people build them. concrete, epoxies, styrofoam, expanding foam...
my stuff comes from the occasional LFS find, local wood from the lakes, ebay buys, and stones either found or purchased from a local stone yard.

lardieleftover

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2014
san diego
I bought a decent size branch of manzanita for 75$ online, feeling like it was a waste since I could drive 30minutes and go collect some off the side of the road for only price of gas.

You can pick up some pothos plants from home depot

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store