Smell around tank! Help!

xApostle

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 4, 2013
London
So, I have a 265g aquarium with a 70g sump.

The tank has a 10x turnover and water always looks clean and tests perfect. Its a k1 media, moving bed filter with filer bags over the pipes that feed water into the tank. 10,000 litre an hour return pump.

a 960litre an hour air pump powers it.

this smell is ridiculous and it's definitely the sump which is open top.

I'm at loss of what to do guys. Please help!

Sent from my GT-I9305 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

uploadfromtaptalk1412617382820.jpg

flukekiller

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 2, 2014
gloucester, va 23061
cover the sump? whats it smell like? it should be an earthy smell

noside

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 6, 2014
NJ
You're smelling it extra because you are running air through it as you have to with the K1. The air carries and pushes odors if there is nothing biologically wrong with your water conditions.

IMO it looks like you may have some phosphate or protein issues if your waters surface is carrying those bubbles making it look foamy. I never have any bubbles build up, they pop as soon as they hit the surface in my sumps and tanks. undissolved proteins really stink, like sewer gas. My skimmer smells terrible when I have to wipe it down.

xApostle

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 4, 2013
London
cover the sump? whats it smell like? it should be an earthy smell
Water in sump looks dark. Try to clean the bottom of the sump? Might be old debris in the bottom.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
You're smelling it extra because you are running air through it as you have to with the K1. The air carries and pushes odors if there is nothing biologically wrong with your water conditions.

IMO it looks like you may have some phosphate or protein issues if your waters surface is carrying those bubbles making it look foamy. I never have any bubbles build up, they pop as soon as they hit the surface in my sumps and tanks. undissolved proteins really stink, like sewer gas. My skimmer smells terrible when I have to wipe it down.
It does smell like an intense earthy smell...somewhat putrid. Yeah, I'm planning to try and clean the bottom and hopefully that'll help. I feed A LOT of protein. could that be it?

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
I wonder if you're lacking in terms of bio media for your bio load

xApostle

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 4, 2013
London
I wouldn't think so as I'd assume that would reflect in water tests?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store