Would This Work As a Stand

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
I'm setting up another 30 Long (36"x12"x16") in my Fishroom and I'm getting tired if buying stands for a while.right now I have a printer on a sofa table in the room and I'm going to move it to my computer room this week. I was wondering whether a wooden sofa table with a footprint of 48"x15" could properly support the weight of a 30 Gallon tank. For support the table has two wide (go from front to back) wooden legs on the far ends of the table. I worry because the tank wouldn't be directly above the legs for support and instead between the legs and I'm not wanting to come home to darters and shiners flopping around in a collapsed tank on the floor. I also don't doubt the table can hold a good bit of weight though. What do you guys think?

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Yeah I thought that might be necessary. I don't really feel like cleaning out that cluttered table until I move the printer though so please excuse the mess.image.jpg

image.jpg

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Bump. I know it takes a while for people to see a thread but if I have to order the tank by Wednesday at the latest to get it here by Thursday and I'd like to know whether that will work as a stand or if I need to order one.

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
Order it up...looks like that stand will be more than fine...prob hold a 55gal.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

jvasquez9248

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2011
Laredo,TX
it should be fine, as long as the tank measures a bit longer that the 2 supporting beams it should be fine. If it doesn't it could cause for the table to bow down a bit with time.

Evz jardini

Jardini
MFK Member
May 19, 2010
manchester /uk
If it doesn't reach both supporting beams you could span the length and width with a thick piece of plywood so it doesn't bow in the middle , just an idea ,:)

muttley000

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2011
West Unity, OH
If it doesn't reach both supporting beams you could span the length and width with a thick piece of plywood so it doesn't bow in the middle , just an idea ,:)
Agree with this. Also if there is no back between the legs I would at least put a diagonal brace between them so you can prevent it from racking once the weight is on it?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store