Ropefish jumped and made it.

reptilerescued

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2014
nepa
Bought two 12 inch ropefish yesterday at a LFS for a smoke'n price to go in my ancient fish themed tank.

I had read on some sights where duct tape was the only answer to keep them in.

They are pretty much right.
I put a sealed lid on the tank last week to keep things in the only gap was at the two HOB's

put the ropefish in yesterday everything went well they even ate last night when I switched to the blue led's for night time.

Called home this afternoon to make sure they were still alive, they were.
Came home from work and one was NOT in the tank. Looked behind the tank and there it was, on the carpet pretty dry and not moving when I picked it up.
Tossed it in the tank and WAMO!!!!!!
Right back to life.
He was break dancing on the bottom for like 15 minutes.

Guess the other things I read about them spending up to 4 hours out of water was true too.
He had up to a 3 hour window to be on the floor and was really quite crusty ,so who knows how long it was on the floor.

Needless to say I followed the things I read and used duct tape.
the ropefish will need a box cutter to get out now.

been over 3 hours and he's still alive so it's safe to say he's going to make it.

This one in the pic is the one that didn't jump. you can see the one that did's body just above his head behind him under the drift wood.
Rich

Charney

The Fish Doctor
Staff member
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2005
Somerville NJ
Wow. Hope he continues to pull through they are tough fish. For some reason they tend to be determined to jump. I have had one for at least 4 years possibly twice that. He is the only rope non jumper I have owned

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

BichirAddict

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 13, 2007
Virginia
I only had a problem with my delhezi bichirs I got last year with jumping but, that was right after getting them in the tank. I've had my Ropefish for close to 7 years now doen't seem interested in jumping.

reptilerescued

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2014
nepa
Well 24 hours later and it's still alive.
AMAZING to say the least.
They even ate again last night again.

Rich

Red Devil

Nice to meet you and welcome to MFK
Staff member
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2006
United states of America
wow thats good news....... i love rope fish..

dmcskoolkid

Aimara
MFK Member
Aug 25, 2010
MD
what was the price I bought 2 more at a LFS after I saw they were 6.99 each and they. haven't jumped yet though my TT eel did he made it too.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

reptilerescued

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2014
nepa
They were 14 bux USD each, not bad as the area never gets them.
Compared to internet prices I got 2 for the price of one and no shipping.
I stopped in to look at plants and they had them.
A month ago they had Pacu's. at 7.00 each they were about 3 inches.

That intake is how the one got out. it's the water polisher HOB.
I watched one shoot right up the side of it and into the HOB tonight, tank is 27 high, so they are able to get a good swimming start to breach.

By the time I took the lid and duck tape off it went back in the tank.
Good thing is now once it's in the HOB it's got no where to go but back into the tank.

Here is the pair tonight right before I turned on the night time blue LED's to feed them.

Rich

reptilerescued

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2014
nepa
Well found another one on the floor this morning.
This time rock hard and stuck to the carpet.

He's still alive. I peeled him up and held him in front of the outflow to the tank off of the canister filter for about 15 minutes.
Then he burped up about 5 cc of air.
His eyes were milky white and he started to move a little. after about a 1/2 hour I let him go. be made it to the back of the tank and wrapped up around a HOB intake for another hour or so. Then swan to the corner of the tank and rested on top of the heater.

It's now back to it's old self eyes are nice and dark. it swam to the bottom of the tank purged more air and is acting like nothing happened.
I must have missed something tape wise yesterday after the water change.

The ropefish is all good now though.
pretty amazing if you ask me. like I said this time it was stiff and stuck to the carpet.

I went to bed @ 3 am and got up @ 1045 am didn't check the tank until I switched fromm the blue LED to the white light @ around 1100 am.
So he had a good window as far as time out of the tank goes. And as stuck and crusty as it was it was a while.

Rich

Shopko

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2007
Virginia
They are escape artist. I have had many over the years. I currently gave 5 in my 120gal. Duck tape works, but you have to seal any little hole. Especially if they are trying to get out.
Good luck!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

D.Wolf

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2013
Slovenia, Europe
i've read a lot about ropes jumping out..i have 3 for quite a long time and one jumped out only once - first time i was cleaning tank - it got scared and jumped out.. no jumps ever since then, they are not afraid of my hand (can let them glide over hand, touch it without prob), i can let lids open over night (done before) and still no jumps..seems they have a good time inthere..will add atleast two more :)

Sent from my GT-I9100 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store