Cetopsis coecutiens

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
AKA the Blue Whale Catfish. I've been curious of this fish for a long time and many just learned about it after seeing it on River Monsters. They're the same fish that they warn you about in South America that swim up your urethra :D. I don't know anyone on here that's kept it but I was wondering if anyone had some experiences to share? I've never seen one for sale and I'm keeping it a secret where I found one for sale until I know whether I'm going to get it or not but I have a source with a 6" for $40 and was wondering whether I should go for it. I'd be willing to setup a tank for it alone need be.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
I like their look and behavior so I bought one a few years ago.Some shops around used to bring them in but I haven't seen any for sale recently and the last time I did the price for them had doubled.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Not my photo and also,I wasn't aware that the cetopsis also entered urethral openings.I thought only the candiru had that habit.The cetopsis is though a voracious feeder.ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1412668237.503040.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Not my photo and also,I wasn't aware that the cetopsis also entered urethral openings.I thought only the candiru had that habit.The cetopsis is though a voracious feeder.View attachment 1041174

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
Im fairly certain they do anyway. I believe they're both in the Cetopsidae family but I'll double check. Anyway what size tank would you say for one?

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Well,I could be wrong but the way I understand is there are two main species that come into the hobby,you already mentioned one and the other is Cetopsis candiru....not to be confused with the totally different fish that is called candiru.Both cetopsis species look similar and can grow well over six inches in length so tank size would depend on how many if these active fish you intend to get.

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Well,I could be wrong but the way I understand is there are two main species that come into the hobby,you already mentioned one and the other is Cetopsis candiru....not to be confused with the totally different fish that is called candiru.Both cetopsis species look similar and can grow well over six inches in length so tank size would depend on how many if these active fish you intend to get.
Id just get one.

Zeke

Banned
Jan 29, 2014
chattavegas
I know the Candiru assu ( guess on spelling) will attempt to swim into an open orifice to feed. The Cetopsis' mouth is similar in ways to Candiru sp. . I know that the Candiru feeds like a parasite when the opportunity arises , usually in and larger catfish species gill and mouth openings. The Cetopsis seems to feed somewhat like that,but usually on weaker ,sickly fish. Their body shape doesn't seem as specialized for the parasitic type of feeding. Seems more like a scavenger type that will invade the body of another fish only if it's dead or dying. The ones I've been around were quarreling with each other when I watched for any length of time. The Cetopsis seems like the type of fish that would benefit from a larger tank with "rounded" corners, in my opinion. They are really aggressive feeders also. Haven't been around them in a while,but that's what I remember, for what it's worth. I first saw one in 1993 or 94. Pretty wild looking fish. " Maggot with fins" Lol!!!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store