Mata mata turtle

Charney

The Fish Doctor
Staff member
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2005
Somerville NJ
I have been wanting this for a very long time and have read a lot about them. One thing that pops up occasionally is that even in the best of conditions they won't live long in captivity. I am curious is this true? That would really be a shame. Also are they being captive bred?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
It's a turtle that I have come close to purchasing quite a few times over the years.I don't recall hearing about them being short lived in captivity or if they are captive bred or not.

Charney

The Fish Doctor
Staff member
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2005
Somerville NJ
thanks for the replies.. There are lots of reports on captive bred. Where it gets interesting it seems some people are taking the gravid female imports and using hormone injections to get them to lay. Kind of defeats the purpose for me. Though there seems to be some actual captive breds around

snakeguy101

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 29, 2009
posting bail
Not many are captive bred- I have heard of 2 instances where babies were produced in captivity and not just laid from WC females but that is it (there might be more that I don't know about though). I had one for 5 years and he was healthy the whole time. The only reason I got rid of him was because his 150 gallon aquarium busted and I could not afford to get a new one. I fed mine crayfish, bighead minnows, and mud minnows. He would eat A LOT of them. His staple was the bighead minnows and he would eat around 200 of them a week. Just be prepared to have a good supply of them.

snakeguy101

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 29, 2009
posting bail

Charney

The Fish Doctor
Staff member
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2005
Somerville NJ
Not many are captive bred- I have heard of 2 instances where babies were produced in captivity and not just laid from WC females but that is it (there might be more that I don't know about though). I had one for 5 years and he was healthy the whole time. The only reason I got rid of him was because his 150 gallon aquarium busted and I could not afford to get a new one. I fed mine crayfish, bighead minnows, and mud minnows. He would eat A LOT of them. His staple was the bighead minnows and he would eat around 200 of them a week. Just be prepared to have a good supply of them.
Warm acidic water is essential for them to do well
sorry forgot about this thread. Was the 150 big enough for the turtle? How warm the fish room will be close to 80? Also could you not get it on pellets?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store