Room Flooded! Carpets, what else to do?!?!?!

SawickiB

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2014
FL, United States
Hi, as you know my room has flooded, frogive me but i was watching a movie in the other room and completely forgot i was filling up my 180 gallon! Now there is a mess of water all over the place, im afraid to turn the power on in my room atm and ive used all the towels i can, they are all soaked now. :( I have 2 fans connected to the hall way blowing into my room and bathroom but it seems like the water is leeching everywhere under the carpet! Is there anything else i can do? Ive also opened up all the windows, i really dont want to have to take down my 180 to clean this and i have such priceless fish in there, but it seems this may be my only option soon :help2:

rayguy84

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 26, 2013
pennsylvania
Shop vac and to suck up all the water u can then pull up an edge of the carpet up and rent an industrial drying fan that sits underneath the carpet to dry the pad and floor

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Do you have wood floors where the spill occurred?

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Hello; Not enough information in your initial post. Some key things will be the type of carpet? The type of floor? Did the water get into the walls? Was it a few gallons or a great deal of water? Upstairs room? basement room?

Having had aquariums leak on carpeted floors myself and having done some carpet instillation as a side job, I can say that aquariums and carpet do not mix. You can do the shop vac, fans and open windows but much will depend on how much water is involved and the answer to my questions above. If you are lucky and have cement floors under the carpet, then the damage may only be the carpet.

A lot of water on wood floors can damage the floor. Even with fans and such it can take days to dry a carpet. A carpet with a pad under it is even harder to deal with. The pad holds water. Carpet can sometimes be saved if it is pulled up and a new pad down. Even with the carpet and pad pulled it can take a while to dry a soaked floor. Some types of wood floor will warp when soaked. The quicker you get it dry the better.

If you try to just dry it from the surface without pulling it up there is a chance of getting a lot of mold growth. There is a fair chance that small spills from the tank over time have already made long lasting damp spots and the mold is already in place. There is fair chance for an interesting smell to develop.

Good luck

SawickiB

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2014
FL, United States
Thanks for the info, i will be trying the vac today, ill have to talk to my dad about further actions i can take.

The floor is like a tan, short carpet, i believe there is cement underneath because i live in florida, i believe it went out the back onto the walls, it was enough to fill my bathroom and soak 1/3 of my bedroom, midde floor because we dont have a up or down stairs.

I woke to find lots of dead fish :( i lost my moke, polli, ornate, palmas palmas, weeksii, angelfish x2, winemilleri x2 not sure why though... most of them can breath surface air :/

clgkag

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 20, 2008
missouri
See if you can rent a dehumidifier to help pull the water out of the air. It will help the water evaporate out of the carpet.

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Hello; A cement floor does not warp from being wet and that is a plus. You may have a fighting chance to dry things out. Keep an eye on the walls for any sign that the water wicked up. Fans, open windows when it is dry outside, a shop vac to pull water directly from the carpet and a dehumidifier as already suggested.

A short nap carpet will dry quicker than a thicker carpet. It was common to glue a jute backed carpet directly to cement floors and thus there may not be any sort of pad or foam under it. If so that is better. There can be a pad or foam backing under the carpet of course, but it is some what less likely on cement.

Could it be that the power being off hurt the fish?

SawickiB

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2014
FL, United States
It may have been combined stress with such are large water change, and then no flow for only about 7 hours even, i thought the 180 gallons wouldve carried enough oxygen for them to survive the night :( i got an extension cord and turned on one of my filters and some bubblers hopefully this helps a bit more.

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
Could it be that the power being off hurt the fish?
Probably such a massive wc caused a huge swing in pH and temp.....then there's the likelihood chlorine issue

SawickiB

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2014
FL, United States
I have well water, so yea that what i believe happened as well, its so wierd with what fish died to. I had 7 bichirs die while my one weeksii survived, i had 2 nandus nandus one died, 4 red head tapajo (the most healthiest alpha died), i had 4 winemilleri 3 died, 2 angels both died, dead severum, and my L25 and 15" common pleco survived.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store