How to go about feeding a 10.5 inch blind indo?

that_fish_Guy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2013
CA
Just got a completely blind 10.5 inch indo datnoid. I am sure he was blind for a long time so i have no worries about him suddenly dying or something because of it. And I think being blind makes him calmer actually and he stabled up really quick after the long drive home. I'm not sure how to feed him. I fed my tank today with shrimp chopped up fairly small and he got one piece, obviously he has a handicap because he is blind but I just want to make sure he gets his share of food as he is the most vulnerable. I tried hand feeding shrimp but I think he can sense my hand and he swam away. Here is a pic sorry for my water clarity it's improving as we speak. I'm using the king of diys water polisher with maxi jet idea from YouTube and it's clearing slowly... anyway here he is, I just want to make sure he gets food. He is completely blind those aren't cloudy eyes your seeing.
uploadfromtaptalk1412655426899.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Vanica

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 22, 2014
Alberta, Canada
Try using something to hold the shrimp. He might warm up to your hand after a while. My little 6" indo won't eat unless it from my hand. Picky little bugger lol.

cgibby

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 27, 2011
U.S.
it may be different for dats but I used to have some pbass that were completely blind and i found the key to them eating was movement and smell i used some tong and shrimp and would tap them on the nose to get a reaction bite

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Asking the previous owner would be helpful. I would think live foods is his only chance for success
That would probably be the best starting point lol...as for live food being the fish's only chance,how would it chase and capture what it can't see? I'm willing to bet that it has learned to eat some kind of pellets by now.

that_fish_Guy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2013
CA
That would probably be the best starting point lol...as for live food being the fish's only chance,how would it chase and capture what it can't see? I'm willing to bet that it has learned to eat some kind of pellets by now.
Previous owner said he fed him shrimp and massivore. I will try some things mentioned above. I think because he is blind he remains stable, which is a plus. He seems to hang near the surface alot which is also odd. I will try feeding again later tonight and see how it goes. I will let you guys know

that_fish_Guy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2013
CA
Here is his other side, again sorry for cloudiness water is working on being polished
uploadfromtaptalk1412688313249.jpg

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
The dat probably felt around on the bottom and snapped up the shrimp or Massivore as it bumped into them.Since it hangs near the top you could also try freeze dried shrimp or krill which would float and the dat could eventually find and learn to eat them as well...Kudos are in order to you for taking this fish....as much as I like dats I doubt if I would take on a completely blind one.

that_fish_Guy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2013
CA
Kudos are in order to you for taking this fish....as much as I like dats I doubt if I would take on a completely blind one.
Thanks krich blind or not, he is a beauty. I don't mind the fact he is blind. Yeah he will need extra care but I'm ready to do what I need to do to ensure he is healthy etc. And like ive said previously I think because he is blind he is more calm and he is more stable which is also a plus. Never seen him unstable since he has been in my tank. I'm naming him Mr.Magoo lol because he reminds me of a blind old guy or somethin (even though I have no idea how old he is)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store