New 180 Gallon Setup....thanks to Egon for the help!!!

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
I see pics. Nice!

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
You need to do a full description of that sick filtration set-up

NewGU

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
The filter is made up of 2 independent systems:
1: the black box is a spill over that has 2 drilled 1.5" holes in the back (pic of output shown, blk pipes); they go into a sump with bio balls for the biological filtration; they get pumped up to the top by a Iwaki 30-RTLX (RTLX is better for low pressure high circulation); this causes the massive bubble fall in the center of the tank....

2: the sand river and canister filter; one hole at each end of the bottom back side of the tank. this causes the river effect across the front sand that keeps the floor clean from built up; the water of coarse goes through that ocean clear 2 level can filter; I use the 100 mil verses the smaller mil filters because I don't care if the water is particle free; I just want to remove the big junk; for looks and mechanical filtration;

Also; it is all plumed through the wall and to the outside for ease of water change

Trickle system: I will trickle in 2 gallons a day to the top of the tank; this will mix with all the water in the tank and any Cl will out gas before it could build up and become a problem; as the level of the water rises, the sump has a pipe that spills over to the outside drain; ...in effect the trickle system pushes the water out the drain at the same rate it comes into the tank...

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
Very cool!

So, do you have any additional water change schedule or is just the trickle system?

NewGU

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
The goal is to use the trickle system so that 0 changes are needed...

I will still need to change the can filters (just clean them, dumb to buy new each time), this till result in changing some water each time I guess.

But the goal of the overall system is to be as hands off as possible, just feed em each day and enjoy

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store