Ever been fed up with fishkeeping?

Chub_by

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2012
Europe
Question is in the title. And I'm not talking bored, I've been in the hobby for 10 years and still love it.
I mean like literally aggrieviated and fed up.
Thing is, my tank's almost empty and can't really get new ones cause my sen bichir (which I can't get rid of) eats everything.
Getting a bigger tank would be amazing, but might not be intelligent since I'll probably be off to Uni sooner or later.

Then there's my pond. Would love a wels or another big, native predator in there, but my hands are tied on that (its not entirely mine).
Don't get me wrong, I do enjoy the stock I have in there, but I'm missing the finishing touch, which I thought I had after adding my sturgeon.. then a cat got it. Been pretty fed up with the hobby since then.

So enough of my rambling, have any of you experienced similar? And what did you do about it (if anything)?

Thanks

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
I believe the person who have everything they want will be more likely the ones to get bored and complacent eventually. I've been fishkeeping for over 30 years on an off (mostly off), but my passion for the hobby has gotten more and more intense in the past 3 years since I've returned to the hobby. I contribute this, constant upsurge in interest, to fish forums such as MFK. Other fishkeepers' passion fuels my own because there are zero people in my non-cyber life that even cares about fish keeping.

I found that keeping aggressive fish, no matter how you define "aggressive" got to me. I just couldn't do it anymore. Since i made the witch to non-aggressive fish types, i've never been happier. The only way I could keep a predator is if I kept it as a single "wet pet".

So to sum up, i now enjoy wet pets, or if I had to, peaceful planted tanks, or saltwater reefs.

But a community tank of aggressive fish is a difficult thing to achieve balance with, and can tax your faculties.

fishnatics

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Mar 1, 2008
Wisconsin
I've been on and off in the hobby mainly due to aggressive fish. Every time I add new fish I risk them getting beat up or killed. After getting rid of all the aggressive fish and concentrating on my breeding group of dragon blood peacocks, it has been much more rewarding.

INTHECOWBOYSWETRUST

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 13, 2013
TOLEDO OHIO
Yep I get this feeling every weekend when I have to do a 50 % WC on 17 different tanks!!!! But as soon as I'm done with them I can sit back and watch all the fish enjoy their fresh clean water and then that feeling goes away again!!!

But honesty when I was keeping both fresh and saltwater tanks and had 20 tanks to care for it really was taxing on me and I thought about selling all my fish and taking a break from it for a year or 2.. But instead I just shut down all the saltwater tanks and it made life much easier on me....

So yes now I love and enjoy my fish much more!!!!

Empyreal

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2013
Las Vegas, NV
Yep I get this feeling every weekend when I have to do a 50 % WC on 17 different tanks!!!! But as soon as I'm done with them I can sit back and watch all the fish enjoy their fresh clean water and then that feeling goes away again!!!

But honesty when I was keeping both fresh and saltwater tanks and had 20 tanks to care for it really was taxing on me and I thought about selling all my fish and taking a break from it for a year or 2.. But instead I just shut down all the saltwater tanks and it made life much easier on me....

WC is like going to the Gym......no motivation to do it, but once its over you feel so good lol

strungout

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2013
Orange County, CA
I got fed up and quit discus, they would eat the wrigglers, even a guard didn't help, fall and die. After like the 4rth or 5th attempt I gave up. I know it takes them awhile to learn, so maybe future

DDK

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 25, 2013
us

I agree, I'm currently back in school now and the amount of tanks I have is a bit overwhelming now. With school, job, and some what of a social life changing out 400 gallons worth of water a week is painful. I honestly don't even have time to scrape the walls of algae now..

My w/c's takes basically 5 hours due to my kitchen faucet's water pressure is weak.. 5 gallons per 3 mins or something ridiculous like that... Currently I haven't water changed in almost 2 weeks haha thank god I have mature algae scrubbers eating up nitrates lol. With one day a week I have "off" I'm really debating a city tap water filtration system to remove chloramine and chlorine so I can just set up drips but that costs nearly 10k lol..

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store