Bright colors in clear water for pike.

Karl K

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 10, 2014
Denmark
Hi.
I have been fishing this new place and the water is clear, you can see that bottom at 2 meters.
Well anyways, i have been using different lures, but ive been catching most pikes on a bright yellow colored spinners. I have been catching fish up too 90cm - 3 feet.
Im just wondering if the bright colored lure will scare really big pike away in the clear water? Dont know how meny people here fish pike.

davenmandy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2012
With pike i find if they're on the bite not much will scare them away. They only really see contrast anyway, I've caught em on j-13 and h-11 rapalla, colour not making a world of difference. I personally find colour makes a difference for finicky fish like trout, and in muddy conditions. Perhaps you can try not using as bright colours, more natural, under different lighting conditions on your pond and you will find yourself more successful? My rule of thumb is if lake is muddy go bright to natural, if lake is clear go natural to bright. Snap swivels are a god send ;)

Sent from my Z10 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

davenmandy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2012
You may be onto something. Is there perch in your lake? How's the bite on silver spoons? Colourful spoons? I have heard before that pike like the bright colours too but I prefer to go natural if i can and I haven't been less successful than the average guy using Colourful I'd say. When it comes down to it the specific system and climate will dictate what they like most.

Karl K

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 10, 2014
Denmark
Yeh, theres lots of perch. when i catch perch, and when i am reeling them in pike attack. I havent tryed spoons. Mostly spinners and softbaits.

davenmandy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2012
That's probably why they like the brighter colours. Try spoons for fun for an hour, try silver pure first, then try silver with perch type colours. May not notice much of a difference if you have shiners in the lake too, but if perch population is big, and pike love perch, then just mimic those colours imo

Karl K

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 10, 2014
Denmark
That's probably why they like the brighter colours. Try spoons for fun for an hour, try silver pure first, then try silver with perch type colours. May not notice much of a difference if you have shiners in the lake too, but if perch population is big, and pike love perch, then just mimic those colours imo

There are lots of roach too. Also Bream.
Gonna try to get some lures with perch colors.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store