Jaguar Cichlid - 2 weeks without a water change

wiggywhitetrash

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2012
Hinckley, UK
Hi
I’m about to head off to Asia for a couple of weeks, leaving my house mate in charge of the Jag :nilly:. I usually struggle keeping the nitrates under control and have a pretty intensive water change routine (60% twice a week), so I’m a bit worried about leaving him for so long without a water change. Just wondering if there’s anything I can do to slow the nitrate build up whilst I’m away? Jag is around 7 inches and set up is as follows…
4’ 90 gallon (6’ 180 planned for early next year)
FX5 for filtration (2 trays of Biomax and 1 tray of Matrix)
Prime for water conditioning
Powerhead pointed toward the filter intake
Bare bottom tank (removed the gravel substrate recently to reduce the nitrates, although it doesn’t seem to have made much difference)
A few large pieces of bog wood for décor
Recently gave up with plants as he kept shredding them

I guess this suggests that I’m probably over feeding, although I’ve never thought that I am. I feed him twice a day with various Hikari pellets (massivire, food sticks, cichlid gold, algae wafers), would he be ok with once a day? Also, wondering about the bog wood - this has been in the tank for a couple of years now, could this be contributing to the nitrates? Would be cool to hear some suggestions, as I’m not thrilled at someone else feeding him, let alone doing a water change.
Thanks
Steve

chubb16

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 29, 2013
Central PA
www.facebook.com
Stop feeding him twice a day, try once a day sparingly and maybe skipping one day a week. See if the nitrates become under control before you leave for Asia.

Sent from my LG-D851 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Belly up

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2008
Wolverine, MI
Get the wood out while you are at it. And it wont hurt to cut his feedings to every other day while you are away. Better than risk a prized fish.

Oh ya, what is the water temp? If it was me I would turn that to a minimum while a I was gone as well.

wiggywhitetrash

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2012
Hinckley, UK
Get the wood out while you are at it. And it wont hurt to cut his feedings to every other day while you are away. Better than risk a prized fish.

Oh ya, what is the water temp? If it was me I would turn that to a minimum while a I was gone as well.
Thanks, I'll do that, is the wood likely to contribute to the nitrate then? Temp is at 29. Would it be worth giving a dose of prime twice a week?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

convict360

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
Scotland
Regarding the wood, I removed all mine and put in hollow plastic ornaments, and I've had low nitrates since.

I think in my tank its cause the wood traps a lot of crap and stuff in the cracks and underneath it, bumping up the nitrates; so it wouldn't hurt to take it out.

I'm quite surprised at the volume of water changes you're having to do in a 90 gallon, especially with a 7 inch fish. Definitely try cutting back feeding.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Modest_Man

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jul 5, 2006
Washington
Just don't feed the fish at all over the two weeks you're gone. It will be better for you and the fish.

petspoiler

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2011
rural Calif.
" " ^ you also have the temperature at the high end, which increases the fish's metabolism & appetite.
Purigen in the filter is wonderful for adding safety margin between water changes. I would add a generous amount before leaving, in addition to the other recommendations.

jagster

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 17, 2011
Canada
add another filter, lower the temp as this will lower the fish's metabolism and reduce feedings to every other day

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store