"Beginner" freshwater ray?

Mythic Figment

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 27, 2012
Florida
So I've been looking into freshwater stingrays as something I might possibly do in the future (with the right tank size and setup), but I'm having difficulty finding any information on what might be a better genus or species of ray to get into first. I have seen the phrase "teacup" ray used a lot in reference to easier kept rays (I know rays in general are difficult to keep like discus), but no genus or species are mentioned and the reported sizes of these "teacup" rays are anywhere from 6"-18".

So I'm here to find out what everyone would recommend for a "starter" ray and ask that you give me as much info on the species or genus that you can. Links are great and first hand experience is always welcome. :)

Thanks everyone.

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

DIDYSIS

Mantilla Stingray
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2012
West Jordan Utah
Stingrays are wonderful wet pets and a few good options are available for starting out and trying to not take over your whole house. Most of all it depends on what space you have to work with as in tank size. Also a little information on freshwater rays is that in Florida you have to have special licensing to own a freshwater river ray. You can review my build below in my signature for the full build I went through for getting a tank and stingrays and information on growth. Mantillas, Marble Motoros , Hystrix are great rays to start out with. Teacup rays are usually Reticulate (Retic stingrays) they are a bit harder to have and not something keepers would recommend as a starter stingray. Best recommendation is to buy from someone breeding stingrays and make sure they have it for a while so it will be healthy and ready for your tank. Allot of stores sell rays that will not eat and are not in good health.

Sent from the Monster Fish Keeping App

Mythic Figment

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 27, 2012
Florida
Stingrays are wonderful wet pets and a few good options are available for starting out and trying to not take over your whole house. Most of all it depends on what space you have to work with as in tank size. Also a little information on freshwater rays is that in Florida you have to have special licensing to own a freshwater river ray. You can review my build below in my signature for the full build I went through for getting a tank and stingrays and information on growth. Mantillas, Marble Motoros , Hystrix are great rays to start out with. Teacup rays are usually Reticulate (Retic stingrays) they are a bit harder to have and not something keepers would recommend as a starter stingray. Best recommendation is to buy from someone breeding stingrays and make sure they have it for a while so it will be healthy and ready for your tank. Allot of stores sell rays that will not eat and are not in good health.

Thanks for the info. It's a good basis to start my search.

I won't be living in Florida for too much longer. I'll be moving to NC soon, so I will look into their licensing laws if necessary.

As for space, the largest tank I have right now is a 125, so I'm not entirely sure if that is large enough for any species of ray. I have been watching some plywood tank build videos and it's been something I've considered doing. UaruJoey on YouTube did a rectangular tank build that couldn't have been more than 20-25" high with glass sides and a wood bottom. I think he said in the video that it was about 500 gallons. It's a very interesting build and I would love trying out something like that. He put rays, geos and discus in it.

DIDYSIS

Mantilla Stingray
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2012
West Jordan Utah
Bigger is always better for more stock and overall water volume for filtration. A little while ago I posted a thread showing my breeder male in a 75 gallon tank and he fits well. Starting out with a male you could keep the right type in a 125 for many years to possibly life if it stayed small like my male.

Mythic Figment

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 27, 2012
Florida
Bigger is always better for more stock and overall water volume for filtration. A little while ago I posted a thread showing my breeder male in a 75 gallon tank and he fits well. Starting out with a male you could keep the right type in a 125 for many years to possibly life if it stayed small like my male.

How many do you think would fit comfortably in a 125 if I went that route?

If I built a 48"Lx48"Wx20"H tank, how many would fit in there? Also, I have read tankmates can be quite difficult to choose. Any suggestions on some SA cichlids or other fish that would work well with them?

DIDYSIS

Mantilla Stingray
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2012
West Jordan Utah
You could house 2 to grow out in a 125 and keep those two in a 48x48x20. Tank mates are usually silver dollars. Geos. Other good sized fish. Nothing super aggressive.

Mythic Figment

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 27, 2012
Florida
You could house 2 to grow out in a 125 and keep those two in a 48x48x20. Tank mates are usually silver dollars. Geos. Other good sized fish. Nothing super aggressive.

I know that many species are quite rare and most are wild caught, but are their any species that can be bred in captivity in case I want to challenge myself down the line?

DIDYSIS

Mantilla Stingray
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2012
West Jordan Utah
With proper keeping almost all types can be bred in an aquarium. Mantilla, motoro(marble), castexi(jaguar),henlei/Leo(bd, p14), hystrix, retic, pearl, orbs, and more have all been bred in aquariums.
Starting out i would recommend staying away from the wild caught.

I know that many species are quite rare and most are wild caught, but are their any species that can be bred in captivity in case I want to challenge myself down the line?

UnstoppableJayD

MFK NNJ
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Jun 6, 2012
Northern NJ
Kevin (didysis) is a good source for ray info and evrything he has said so far is spot on... but one thing you need to know... is that a stingray produces an inordinate amount of waste compared to a normal fish due to there physiology so you can keep a male ray in a 125 for quite some time.. you need to filter the tank probably triple what you woul normally need and seriously consider not adding many tank mates.

Mythic Figment

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 27, 2012
Florida
With proper keeping almost all types can be bred in an aquarium. Mantilla, motoro(marble), castexi(jaguar),henlei/Leo(bd, p14), hystrix, retic, pearl, orbs, and more have all been bred in aquariums.
Starting out i would recommend staying away from the wild caught.

Wow. I didn't know that. I was of the impression that all rays were difficult to breed and very few had been bred in captivity. That is good to know though. :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store