Tank design and setup

CeD_^

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 30, 2008
Mauritius
I have seen on the forum that some tanks at one or both ends, have a small compartment the same height of the aquarium with small vertical spaces at the top. I guess that is it for the filter as i do not see any canister piping. So how does this filter works? As there are only openings at the top, i guess that it pulls water only from the top. What about the bottom? Does it only need to be used with a sump/wet/dry filter?

CeD_^

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 30, 2008
Mauritius
I know IOF but as the outflow of water comes the top, most of the water is already cleaned and full of oxygen. What about the water and waste at the bottom? Obviously, an overflow won't be able to suck water from the bottom, so how does it clean the tank?

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
Let me answer your question with a question. How does the water get clean at the top with a cannister filter? It picks up water from the bottom.

CeD_^

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 30, 2008
Mauritius
Let me answer your question with a question. How does the water get clean at the top with a cannister filter? It picks up water from the bottom.
with a canister, you can adjust how long your intake pipe goes into your aquarium. the nearer it is to the bottom, the more it will suck in waste. the nearer it is to the top, the less it is going to suck in solid waste as they are heavier and will sit at the bottom. logic. But with IOF, the intake is at the top right? so it will only suck in water at the top. that is why it is called OVERflow right?

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
Most people have the returns from the sump pointed down into the water. Also most people have some type of circulation pump(s) in the tank to move water and waste around. Also there is an overflow design that pulls water up from the bottom and middle as well as the top. Marineland tanks have them. I have a cannister filter in addition to the overflows in my tanks.

azura

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2011
Aros World
I know IOF but as the outflow of water comes the top, most of the water is already cleaned and full of oxygen. What about the water and waste at the bottom? Obviously, an overflow won't be able to suck water from the bottom, so how does it clean the tank?
there means 2 option ... there hole on bottom of iof compartment which we cannot see or manual siphon
there's wavemaker in the tank which usually used to circulate water and push the waste to certain corner for easier manual maintenance

btw where's the gap on the top compartment ... i couldnt see it in the pic

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
Them over flows contain pipes normally a drain that goes down to a sump over all the media
The water is then pumped back up a pipe that is also in that box
They are called a weir

It stops you full tank draining if the power goes out and covers the pipes

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store