Am I the only one? Passionate about the fish? Or the equipment?

mudbuttjones

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2014
Wisconsin
I love fish and fish keeping. I grew up with a father who bred fish through most of my formative years. Its given me an endless fulfilling hobby that really helps me unwind and destress.

I enjoy watching my fish and I take the best care of them that I can with regards to water changes, food, occasional meds, and filtration.

But my greatest thrill of the hobby is the mechanical aspect. Im a Diy project fiend, I always have to have a project. I love building and tinkering.

I love building systems, doing tank builds, working on plumbing and experimenting with fluid dynamics. I enjoy creating and controlling a semi functional ecosystem. "playing god" if you will. I enjoy the maintenance and making adjustments to the system. Most of all I enjoy sitting back and enjoying what I created, fish and all.

Am I the only one?

Sent from my SCH-R950 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

girliefishlips

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2010
North TX
Mudbutt, you're not alone! :) I love tinkering with my tank...only have one tank and one jar now...but, they are always at some level of progress, other than finished. I've done a lot of DIYing, re-scaping, and, re-stocking because for me, that is much of the appeal. I would love to have a larger display tank that is 'finished', but I'm limited to just one, now, so it tends to get changed a lot and is never done.

I love fish and fish keeping. I grew up with a father who bred fish through most of my formative years. Its given me an endless fulfilling hobby that really helps me unwind and destress.

I enjoy watching my fish and I take the best care of them that I can with regards to water changes, food, occasional meds, and filtration.

But my greatest thrill of the hobby is the mechanical aspect. Im a Diy project fiend, I always have to have a project. I love building and tinkering.

I love building systems, doing tank builds, working on plumbing and experimenting with fluid dynamics. I enjoy creating and controlling a semi functional ecosystem. "playing god" if you will. I enjoy the maintenance and making adjustments to the system. Most of all I enjoy sitting back and enjoying what I created, fish and all.

Am I the only one?

Sent from my SCH-R950 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
I love the mechanical side. as much as the fish themselves.

convict360

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
Scotland
I like the whole thing lol. Originally it was just fish, but you gain a greater appreciation of the whole system as you get into the hobby.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

ragin_cajun

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
South Louisiana
I don't like the mechanical side. I like the water chemistry side, the flow and filtration side, but I despise the physical construction part (gluing pipe, backgrounds, running hoses). I would never build my own tank. I love the fish, I could watch them for hours if I had a comfortable couch in front of the tank--that's coming soon.

spiff44

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 20, 2007
Midwest
I used to... used to like doing a lot of things. Now things like that seem more like work. I used to do a lot of car work too.. engine swaps, rebuilds, custom turbo w/engine management.. ect. That's definitely considered work now.

Now my priority is kicking back and loafing.

PDRed302

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2011
Fort Worth Texas
I definitely enjoy watching my fish but to be honest really love the design/prep/build process more. Don't get me wrong, my main display tank is for the most part complete and I really dont do much to it besides general husbandry; however, I always have at least one tank that is always going through a rebuild/re-scape/redesign. I really enjoy experimenting with different looks and setups be it a simple filtration change, re-scape or even a complete tear down and rebuild. There's just too many cool/different ways to set stuff up that I haven't tried yet. Of course it'd be easier if I was willing to change my stock up but I honestly see my fish as pets so I have a hard time ever getting rid of them.

Every time my wife asks "why are you changing this or that?" I always just tell here that I'm working on "science experiments".

Lepisosteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
May 20, 2014
Ontario, Canada
I always kept a few smaller tanks with one main display tank that would be 200g plus. The most enjoyable part for me was when I upgraded equipment or redesigned the system to function better. Then after all is done just sit or lay down in front and just watch for hours. I remember my first canister filter (eheim 2028) I looked at for a good 30 minutes as I was amazed at how it performed. That's why I always look forward to equipment upgrades

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
I love the mechanical aspect. I'm already making plans for my high tech basement Fishroom I'm making in Dec or Jan. I grew up building many things (not just toys but models, machines, etc) and I love creating systems, especially for tanks, for a while I thought I wanted to be an architect or electrician but I'm pursuing aquarist as of now.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store