Stingray and Fronts?

rich_one

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2011
Southern Maryland
I've been mulling over setting up one of my tanks for a group of fronts. I am in the process of trying to decide which tank I want to use, and which fish of my sizable CA cichlid collection I'd need to move to accomplish this. While going back and forth over which tank to use, I started looking at a tank I have that houses my stingray and some angels, and found myself wondering if a group of frontosas, with maybe a couple of comps mixed in, would play nice with a male hystrix stingray? I get that there are other things I need to be considering here... me asking the question doesn't mean I am about to go and do this tonight. LOL... just wondering at the moment from a temperament standpoint, if anyone has possibly tried such a thing. Thanks!

-Rich

stempy

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2011
Galloway, OH
Yes, I've seen it in person. Makes for a beautiful display. The tank I saw was a 360 gallon with a couple motoros and a breeding group of large moba fronts. Of course with any fish some can be far more aggressive than others so you may get that rare killer front that may harm a stingray but as long as you watch your fish for any signs of aggression you'll be fine!

DIDYSIS

Mantilla Stingray
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2012
West Jordan Utah
I had a group of 10 frontosa with my group of rays. Was a good combination. Then I added 12 geos to match the fun streamers and it was super nice looking with allot of color from the geos.

Sent from the Monster Fish Keeping App

rich_one

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2011
Southern Maryland
Guys... you don't know how awesome it is to hear this news. I'm about to have a nervous breakdown with the excitement of my next move, if you guys think this will work... LOL...

-Rich

DIDYSIS

Mantilla Stingray
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2012
West Jordan Utah
uploadfromtaptalk1412808647254.jpguploadfromtaptalk1412808676028.jpg

DIDYSIS

Mantilla Stingray
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2012
West Jordan Utah
uploadfromtaptalk1412808728537.jpguploadfromtaptalk1412808783353.jpg

neutrino

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2013
Mid-Atlantic, US
I've seen it as well in some great looking tanks. No reason fronts would bother something like a stingray, especially one of any size at all. It's possible to get the odd mean individual, but fronts are seldom aggressive for aggression's sake. They can fuss with each other some, and two large rival males can put on a spectacular display, but overall they're not especially aggressive. In the wild they're a small fish predator and in a tank setting some can be as well, but generally speaking they're fairly peaceful to most other fish.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store