Looking into buying a 500gal.

manafel

Exodon
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2012
tulsa, oklahoma
One of my lfss is closingby the end of the year, they are marking everything to sell, and they have 2 500gal acrylic tanks in the back. The one I am looking at has a metal stand that it sits on and seems to have a large built in overflow on the side of it. From what I remember, it's not badly scratched and was in good shape. The owner is asking $3600 for just the tank and the stand, but they say that they are open to offers. I've never bought a tank this large, so I'm not sure if this is a good price or not? This tank would replace my 200gal that I currently have

Sent from my HTCONE using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
To much IMO. I could get a 500 for about $700-900 where I live. I also know the guy who makes the tanks though.

manafel

Exodon
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2012
tulsa, oklahoma
Ok, I was thinking of waiting until December and see if he still has it. If he does by then maybe he would go down on price... There aren't a lot of tanks that size floating around in my neck of the woods, so I'm not sure how to price it. If it goes down to about 1000 or 1500 should I take it?

Gill Blue

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2011
michigan
To much IMO. I could get a 500 for about $700-900 where I live. I also know the guy who makes the tanks though.
then I think the question is, can you get him the tank for $1000, and how much to ship it?

after looking through your craigslist manafel, I'm thinking you might want to grab it while it's available. they're closing down, you might be able to get him to throw in a sump, or filter, lots of media. and don't be afraid to bargain. a lot of people get excited when the cash comes out. walk in there with 2G and you might get him to go for it.

ragin_cajun

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
South Louisiana
Well, compare that price to the cost of a new custom acrylic tank. Tank that size, new, would cost about $3600 probably. A metal stand would cost $1000 or more. Then you'd have to ship it for...$500 I guess. If the fish store's tank is in really good shape, and there's not a lot of used tanks that size available in the area, then I think it's a fair price.

As for $700-$900 500 gallon acrylic tank -- u sure? Just the material would cost more than that, wouldn't it? I don't know how acrylic tanks are built, but they do require some man hours. Is there any heating/baking involved--that's expensive. $700?

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
then I think the question is, can you get him the tank for $1000, and how much to ship it?
Hes a good friend of mine and has offered to help me set it up at my house for free if I buy a custom tank from him. He only lives 40 minutes from me. I am getting a tank in the 300-360 Gallon range from him this winter so I'll see how much he wants for that.

manafel

Exodon
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2012
tulsa, oklahoma
I talked to my other half about it and he made a good point of how I would get such a wide tank into the house... Tbh I'm not sure if it would be possible. I don't have exact measurements, but I would say that it is about 3 feet wide, 7 feet long and the rest would be in the height(it's a pretty tall tank so I could be way off)

SePPii

Dovii
MFK Member
May 21, 2011
Chesapeake, OH
It's probably a 8x4x2 480 gallon and if you turn it on its side it should go right through the door

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

INTHECOWBOYSWETRUST

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 13, 2013
TOLEDO OHIO
That seems quite expensive to me, but Im not sure what those kind of tanks go for in your area. Probably got for $1200

Dang I am in your neck of the woods can you find me one for that price?? LOL.. Cheapest I have seen around that size around here is $3,000 to $4,000.... All the good deals I see are in California!!!!!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store