Net for catching rays?

davenmandy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2012
Hey I'm moving and gotta catch my leo ray's soon. Needless to say I don't want the barbs caught in the net to stress them for the already 12 hour move. I bought a rubber coated new with what looks like half cm holes, flat bottom, but I'm a bit worried that the holes are too small, and if a ray gets a barb through one I'll be in trouble. There are ones with 1.5 cm holes, no way a ray would have a thick enough barb to get stuck, but the handles were too long and would be very hard catching them. I could buy one and cut the handle, but thought I'd ask if you guys thought the smaller one would be okay, better handle, flat bottom, looks more comfortable.

Also, any suggestions / experiences with catching bigger rays in nets or otherwise?

Sent from my Z10 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

davenmandy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2012
Between 13-18 inches in diameter.

Blkpiranha

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2007
Just take a pic of the net and post it here so we can see what you are working with or even post a link to the net in question. Rays are very easy to move with rubber nets. I have moved lots of adults around my tanks with no problems.

DIDYSIS

Mantilla Stingray
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2012
West Jordan Utah
Here is my net. Any rubber net won't get the barb stuck in the net weave that a normal rope type net has.

uploadfromtaptalk1412820761548.jpg

Sent from the Monster Fish Keeping App

davenmandy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2012
Here is my net. Any rubber coated net won't get the barb stuck in the net weave that a normal rope type net has.

View attachment 1041421

Sent from the Monster Fish Keeping App
Ya those holes are 3-4 times bigger than this one. Just worried about a barb with its backwards facing serated edges will get stuck if it touches more than one edge of the hole at once.

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
Rubber coated and full rubber net are two different things. I would not use a rubber coated with my rays. Its perfect hole size for a barb imo. i have the same clear one Didysis has pictured, theres also a larger size out there in full rubber. If the handle is too long cut it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store