110 gallons of water on second floor. Bad idea or do able?

Richbinduga

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 8, 2014
philadelphia
I'm in the process of trying to save space in my room. I have two 55 gallon tanks. One on the bearing wall, the other on the partition wall. I saw these stands online called the Titan eze metal double stand or whatever it's called. They're stands that hold two aquariums. One above, one below. They make them for up to 75 gallons. I actually have one for two 20 gallons. That one is holding up fine, maybe slightly wobbly. Now I'm worried about two things. Can my floor hold the weight? And will the stand hold both tanks and not fall over? The tanks will go up against the bearing wall of my second story bedroom. The house is about 15 years old. House doesn't make too many creepy house noises either. I'm also worried that the weight could make the stand flip over. Sometimes I'll notice that when setting up a tank against a wall with a carpeted floor will make the tank somewhat slanted foreword, almost unnoticeable but still enough to worry me. Anyway, what are your thoughts? The more info the better! Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
I'm in the process of trying to save space in my room. I have two 55 gallon tanks. One on the bearing wall, the other on the partition wall. I saw these stands online called the Titan eze metal double stand or whatever it's called. They're stands that hold two aquariums. One above, one below. They make them for up to 75 gallons. I actually have one for two 20 gallons. That one is holding up fine, maybe slightly wobbly. Now I'm worried about two things. Can my floor hold the weight? And will the stand hold both tanks and not fall over? The tanks will go up against the bearing wall of my second story bedroom. The house is about 15 years old. House doesn't make too many creepy house noises either. I'm also worried that the weight could make the stand flip over. Sometimes I'll notice that when setting up a tank against a wall with a carpeted floor will make the tank somewhat slanted foreword, almost unnoticeable but still enough to worry me. Anyway, what are your thoughts? The more info the better! Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
Hello; I will comment on the "somewhat slanted forward" issue. Carpet on wood floors will often have what are called tack strips along the outer perimeter of a room around an inch or so from the wall. The tack strips are wood around a quarter inch thick with nail points sticking out. These nail points are what the carpet is stretched onto. This keeps the carpet nice and smooth over time. It may be that you have such tack strips and are what causes the stand to tip away from the wall. Extra spacers under the front of the stand are likely needed to make up for this.

I know you did not ask, but let me say carpets and tanks do not mix. The outcome can be bad with ruined carpet and damaged floors. I have had such damage when a 55 gallon let go. Even without a big leak there is going to be some spillage around a tank from regular stuff you will be doing. It will likely be that there is fairly constant moisture under a stand that never quite dries out. Wood flooring can be discolored and mold may grow. I know lots of people have tanks on carpet, but I no longer will.

Good luck

Drstrangelove

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Francisco
I looked up that particular model and read reviews and I wouldn't use that particular product.

IMO, if you want to stack tanks that way, I'd find something more reliable than that model.

Regardless, when going over a floor, especially ones with carpet and/or wood, you are risking damage. You can minimize it by placing a plywood panel (1/2") and 4 mm plastic underneath all parts of the stand and also by taking extreme care for water spills, but having a flat floor is pretty important. If there is tilt near the wall, it's likely from something under the carpet and so I'd want to place the stand out a bit from the wall where it's likely to be flat.

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
With a 15 year old house, that flooring should be able to handle 110gal with no problem. Many people put in jacuzzi tubs in their upstairs bathroom, and they don't even warrant it neccessary to reinforce the floor from below.

Apexden

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 17, 2011
USA
if a floor can not hold 1000 lbs you should not be living in it...............

Spartacus

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 8, 2011
ft.myers,florida
I had a 240 on a second floor apt.the only problem was moving it! all my sons moving co. sux! they said they would move it then backed out when they saw it.funny,because 2 good ole boys handled it-no problem,not to mention hanz and franz who moved it UP the stairs.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store