Looking for a medium small/small carnivorous catfish for 37 gallon

dpk2313

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 20, 2009
ohio
Well like the title says Looking for a small/medium small carnivorous catfish for 37 gallon preferably an oddball. Would be willing to grow out the right cat. Needs to eat left over frozen, pellets and murdered guppies. Suggestions?

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Asian Bumblebee Cat. Averages 5-6" but can get 8". Grow very quick to 4" or so then they slow down IME. It'll define it'll eat any fish that can fit in its mouth and most will take pellet however mine only eats frozen or live which isn't a big deal anyway though.

Zeke

Banned
Jan 29, 2014
chattavegas
Chaca chaca or Chaca bankensis( top of head spelling, sorry). They are more of a specialized predator though. Madtom Catfish, a small/barely medium size North American Native with 5-10 species in the genus(sometimes hard to acquire though, as well as Chaca, sorry). What about one of the smaller Pimelodus species from South America? Dwarf Giraffe Nose Catfish,there's a couple different species of those.of There are lots of sm/med catfish from Asia/SE Asia. Maybe a Synodontis species from Africa? Lots of colors/ patterns of those. They are relatively small,some anyway. Maybe a REDTAIL CATFISH ? You can get one of those at 2-3" and keep it about 3-4 weeks until it gets about 3' long!!! Lol!!! Sorry, off the actual point. One more, Many of the South American Woodcat genus have lots of meat species. More than 2000+ catfish species out there. Just start looking for some you like. Maybe you'll find one that you purchase and enjoy enough that you decide to invest in a larger tank size! If not there are PLENTY of smaller size catfish to make it a tough decision in the end on which species to go with! Good luck and enjoy yourself. Researching new fish that I am interested in is one of favorite things to do. Thanks.

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
+1 on the madtoms. They're awesome little cats. There's actually about 30 species in the Madtom genus (noturus) but like Zeke said only 5-10 are easily acquired.

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
well if you get interested in the chaka chaka cats, Elmers in monroeville has one currently. Neat lookin little guys. I dont know how close you are to PA from that part of OH but just thought I'd chime in.

dpk2313

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 20, 2009
ohio
I use to have a chaca chaca and they are awesome but slugish and I wouldn't really think of them as a "cleaner" cat but I really love the way they look and would love to have something to the affect of that aesthetic. That being said if I could find one close I wouldn't hesitate to buy it.

convict360

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
Scotland
+1 on what divemaster said on the Asian bumblebees, those fish are awesome, I keep seeing them in the LFS and mean to get more.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
+1 on what divemaster said on the Asian bumblebees, those fish are awesome, I keep seeing them in the LFS and mean to get more.

They're great fish but they definitely have an attitude! My 4" beats the $@&t out of a 4" blue acara on a daily basis, although the acara is always dumb enough to start a fight with him :)

convict360

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
Scotland
They're great fish but they definitely have an attitude! My 4" beats the $@&t out of a 4" blue acara on a daily basis, although the acara is always dumb enough to start a fight with him :)
Haha really? I never had that problem in the past, mine were chubby little guys; hid quite a lot

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Haha really? I never had that problem in the past, mine were chubby little guys; hid quite a lot

I also have an odd one. Made the LFS worker take 10 minutes to catch the exact one I liked because it was pschychotcally swimming around and schooling with characins :ROFL:. He still acts like that as well as hand and surface feeds.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store