Computer monitor help

jason longboard

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2007
california
Hey my neighbor gave me an old acer flat screen 22 inch and Im pairing with my nice samsung. The samsung is crisp and pops, bright whites and such, its plugged to my graphics card. The acer is kinda bland and old looking in the colors and crispness but is not plugged to the graphics card due to no adapter yet, is this why or does this acer monitor just suck?

Pharaoh

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2008
Indianapolis
Probably a monitor issue. "old acer" pretty much summed it up for me.

The definition on newer monitors is much better that a few years ago.

jason longboard

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2007
california
Hmmm. My samsung is a few years old and looks nice and bright. I know what you mean though. I'm just making sure it's not just a set up issue.

darth pike

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 3, 2008
Korriban
Part of it might be age, but the other part could very well be the fact it's not plugged into the video card. If it's an even half way decent card, it would blow away the onboard graphics I assume you have it plugged into right now. Neither of my two monitors looks as good when plugged in onboard vs a dedicated card, and one of my monitors is close to ten years old.

jason longboard

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2007
california
Part of it might be age, but the other part could very well be the fact it's not plugged into the video card. If it's an even half way decent card, it would blow away the onboard graphics I assume you have it plugged into right now. Neither of my two monitors looks as good when plugged in onboard vs a dedicated card, and one of my monitors is close to ten years old.
I just built this computer last year. Its asrock mother board, I want to say the graphics card is an evga 660 ti or something like that. Yeah its just dull looking mainly. The white is just more creamy. I'm getting another vgi adapter today to try. I really want a new bigger monitor anyways but thought this would be cool for a bit.

Sent from my XT1080 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

darth pike

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 3, 2008
Korriban
I run two monitors, one of hdmi and one a dvi to hdmi adapter ... there is a HUGE difference in color and crispness between the two. So I wouldn't be shocked if that's what it is.

Heretik

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2013
The Great White North
Its also possible that the monitor needs to be re calibrated.

I have a small photography business and run a dual monitor setup when post processing my photos. I have a spyder4 pro that i use to recalibrate my monitors every month and the difference is night an day

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

jason longboard

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2007
california
K. Thanks guys. I did do all the adjustments on the screen itself, well see if anything changes once I hook it to the graphics card. I'll let you know. I'm at work now so I'll try tonight.

Sent from my XT1080 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store