pregnant ray, just checking my plans

mscamp02

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 13, 2011
Mt. Sterling KY
My female motoro is blatantly pregnant and I have some serious movement on her back, about two months ago she visibly became larger and I've been seeing movement for about a month now.

This will be my first litter so I just want to check my plans. After they are born I am planning on filling up my empty 60 with water from the main tank and moving a filter over, this way I maintain 100% parameters. The pups will be transfered in a large bowl to prevent air exposure, probably 45 minutes or so after birth provided I'm around. I'll do daily water changes but will take water from the main tank so I'm not loaded in direct tap, probably 10 to 20% or so. For nourishment I'm planning on dicing earthworms and then eventually try to get them on mp.

I do have a couple concerns though. If I am not around will the mother do any damage to the pups? She's already separated from my male. WI'll my main tank water quality be okay with water else comes out or do I need to plan on some frequent water changes directly after?

One last thing, I know I'm getting closer but I'm just not sure how much time I have left. Any ballpark guesses? I can see movement from my couch 6 feet away. Either way I'm exciting to see these motoro mantilla pups come out

Mr. Allgood

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2012
Iowa
Generally takes 120 days give or take. Sounds like your plans will work out. I personally like to have my pup tank hooked to my sump on my main system via a hot mag and some hoses

spotfin

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2006
Maine
I try to set up the pup tank before they are born. I keep sponges in my sump at all times that will fit the HOB filter I have on the pup tank, and use water from the main tank. I also transfer substrate from the main tank to the pup tank. How big is your pup tank? You may not have to do daily water changes. When I start water changes on the pup tank, I do small changes using tap water (well water for me).

The pups usually don't eat for a few days after birth. My last litter didn't start taking food until they were a week old. Try other foods (shrimp, tilapia, scallop, pellets, etc.) in addition to worms.

Good luck!

dxdx

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2010
NJ, USA
The mother won't hurt the pups. I divided my tank since I didn't have space for a separate pup tank. The pups learned to get under the divider, but they would come back for feeding time. It was kind of funny. Eventually I just took out the divider and kept them coming to the left side of the tank for feeding while I kept everybody else away. It was easier than it sounds.

I would try to hook into the main system as described above, or at least try to fit a tupperware into the top of the tank w/ holes. You'll tire of water changes pretty quickly, although they won't eat for a week so I'm not sure how much water you would have to change.

mscamp02

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 13, 2011
Mt. Sterling KY
Unfortunately I don't have a sump and I'm just using canisters but I'll put a fx5 on a 60g. The fx5 is coming off of the main. I know it's about 120 days but I'm just checking how close she's getting once you start seeing major movements

moosemj

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 27, 2012
Illinois
I just had my first litter a few weeks ago. Everyone is fine and eating worms. You can use a floating pup tank at first. Not sure how long my pups were in the tank, bit no one bothered them.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store