new Lap feeding advice

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
Hey all,
So I just purchased my second poly, a little 4" lap. he is healthy and moving around the tank and seems content.

So far however, he hasn't taken any food that I have offered to him, and its been several days. I've tried shrimp pellets, hikari carnivore, tilapia, red worms, blood worms, and freeze dried krill. nothing seems to peek his interest.
I'm probably just used to having every fish I buy eat within the hour lol.

I wouldn't be worried about this normally, because he is probably just acclimating to his new waaaaaaaaay bigger tank from the LFS, but I have a 2.5-3" albino sen in with him and they are currently buddies, but I have this sneaking suspiscion when the lap gets to hungry it might be game on when the lights go out.

there are 5 ghost shrimp in the tank as well, so I'm hoping if hunger does get the best of him, he runs into those guys first haha.

Any advice? anyone else have trouble with a picky bichir before?

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
wow im impressed no one has had anything on this subject yet haha

swrdply400mrelay

Gambusia
MFK Member
May 13, 2012
Texas
It's not uncommon for polys to not eat in a new environment for awhile, up to a couple of weeks even. Make sure no one else is threatening it in the tank, has plenty of places to hide, and try feeding when the lights have been out for awhile. Some just tend to be nocturnal feeders.

adr_93

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 24, 2013
coral springs, florida
I feed mine when lights are out and other fish are asleep like stated above. They're most active at night.

Sent from my SGH-T599N using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

ocellatus

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 20, 2006
Canada
image.jpgAgreed with the nocturnal feeding. I recently picked up a 4 incher as well (still has external gills) but it started eating small fish filet right away then moved to NLS pellet within the week.

For mine the key was letting food fall where there was plenty of cover at lights out. Once s/he recognized the smell as food and had eaten for a few days in a row I fed with lights on from that point forward.

O

image.jpg

Askaleymanfish

Aimara
MFK Member
May 15, 2014
Danville Virginia
Be patiend my 14" lap didn't eat for a long time to the point where it got super skinny ... Iv had my congicus for 3-4 weeks still hasn't ate once also have a 7" ornate that ate the first day I got it and hasn't ate since had it for a month

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store