Added sand, now water is cloudy

LaPrice

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
So i added sand over a week ago after changing out from gravel. Saved 75% of the water and all filter media. Water is good, no ammounia or any isues like that. The sand settled before adding my fish back, and is not a fine grain. Its probably pin-head sized grains. My crypto is melting a tad but i expected that (live plants :p )

Is it possible that its just the fish kicking up dust? It shouldnt be cycling again, i did add some more bacteria to help just incase. Just wondering if it will ever be crystal clear again XD

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
Did you prewash the sand before adding it to the tank?

LaPrice

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
No, i had heard that before but i was unsure how to actually do it

lardieleftover

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2014
san diego
That's the reason why then. Won't gp away until you do. The silt mixed in with the sand needs to be washed out by putting in a bucket, fill with hose mix it vigorously and dump the water until it is clear.
Easy to do with 5gal buckets. Should videos of how to wash sand on YouTube.

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
I just set up a 40B and 55L with pool filter sand, water was rough for 3 days, its normal with sand especially if you dont rinse it prior to filling the tank.

LaPrice

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Ok, will it go away with time and water changes then?

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
No, i had heard that before but i was unsure how to actually do it
Get a 5 gallon bucket; fill about a quarter of the bucket with sand; Fill bucket about 90% full with water running hose wide open; turn off hose and wait about 10 seconds, then dump out as much water as you can; repeat this water filling/dumping process about 5-6 times then add this sand into the tank. Fill up bucket with new batch of sand and repeat entire process again with new batch.

Since your sand is already in the tank, just leave it alone and after a several months of water changes and all the fine floating sand getting trapped by the filter pads, water should eventually go clear.

LaPrice

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Ah ok, that would explain why im changing my filter pads every 2 days XD i use average grade then super fine as well with the filter pads. Yay for waiting games. thanks :)

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
When I set up my 75gal 2.5years ago, I did it in Feb and it was just too cold for me to do the rinsing, so I just added the sand unwashed into the aquarium. By the summer, it was hardly noticeable

LaPrice

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Ok, thats not too long. thanks alot, ill remember next time i play around with sand XD

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store