year & half wuth ornatum

Belly up

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2008
Wolverine, MI
Well done! Just keeping them alive is no mean feat so you have achieved the highest possible rating in my book of secretly admired cichlid enthusiasts.

Just as a side note I was wondering if anyone had seem the old ACA magazine with the ornatum on the cover. These fish look nothing like that fish and in color or shape. I`ll see if I can dig it out and post a pic for conversations sake.

Maybe it was`nt on the cover but there is a pic.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
There is some question whether these are truly ornatum, or gephyrum.
I tried to access the article and photo in the old BBs, but now that they have switched format, and I've lost access, I'd really like to see it

Belly up

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2008
Wolverine, MI
I posted it on the other side of the forum as to not highjack your thread here.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Mine have not been overly aggressive as of yet in the community setting, although they do hold their own.
I have 5, the smallest is @ 3", largest @ 5"+, they are housed is 150 gal with 5 similar sized Guianacara sp, 2 belly crawler pike cichlids, and Acarichthys heckelli.
When they were juvies in a 50 gal, they were very aggressive with each other, until I added the (at that time) larger Guianacara, the Guianacara addition changed their attitude almost immediately.

Empyreal

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2013
Las Vegas, NV
Mine have not been overly aggressive as of yet in the community setting, although they do hold their own.
I have 5, the smallest is @ 3", largest @ 5"+, they are housed is 150 gal with 5 similar sized Guianacara sp, 2 belly crawler pike cichlids, and Acarichthys heckelli.
When they were juvies in a 50 gal, they were very aggressive with each other, until I added the (at that time) larger Guianacara, the Guianacara addition changed their attitude almost immediately.
Very interesting, thanks for the response. Absolutely beautiful fish

NorCaliCichlids

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 12, 2008
California
I have 9 WC at 2-4" in a 135 that are supposedly Gephyrum as well but who knows? Trying to find the location collection info but I got mine from Mark at Discus Origins via Aquabid.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store