Thoughts on the hydor 450 canisters?

yodaLBC

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2010
Philippines
Any thoughts about the new hydor canister line? They seem to look promising.. I'm thinking of giving it a try, but I wanted to see what yall think first? Thanks in advance !

DMD123

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2009
Lakewood, WA
I like the quick connects they use. These are the same as found on the Cascade canisters. This filter seems to have borrowed a lot from the Cascades in terms of design with the benefit of not having any by-pass. Been doing a ton of research and they look to be very good. Only issues I have seen reported are usually leaks because the baskets were not seated properly. These are on my watch list... but the price need to drop just a little.

yodaLBC

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2010
Philippines
I like the quick connects they use. These are the same as found on the Cascade canisters. This filter seems to have borrowed a lot from the Cascades in terms of design with the benefit of not having any by-pass. Been doing a ton of research and they look to be very good. Only issues I have seen reported are usually leaks because the baskets were not seated properly. These are on my watch list... but the price need to drop just a little.

Thanks for the input, the reason I'm asking also is because I can get it for cheap so it looks very enticing to me lol! As far as the leak goes when trays are not seated properly , I think that's common because my Rena used to do that too!

yodaLBC

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2010
Philippines
Good deal!
It is!

Thought I'll share with you all.....

Update,, hooked it up on my 240, the canister locking mechanism feels solid( not like the Rena , I tend to question it all the time lol) there are 4 trays and two of them came with ceramic rings,(which is also a plus) , I decided to use the spray bar instead of the regular outlet, the intake hose is larger than outtake ( I guess for no clogging reason) very easy to install , couplers are perfect fit. And as far as priming , it was very easy also. When I turned it on ... The output was very strong, I'm very impress! I had a talk with the hydor rep yesterday at the reef-a-palooza event in Orange county , and he claimed that this canisters put out the GPH that they claim to put out with MEDIA and most canisters are rated when media is not present: so I don't know how true this is but so far I'm taking his word for it lol!

Reactions: FishNCash

DMD123

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2009
Lakewood, WA
Thanks for the update. I really like the design on these Hydor and it was very high on my list for an upgrade for my Oscar on a 72g bow but with that crazy FX6 sale at Petsmart recently I ended up with that instead. Keep us informed how it holds up.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store