fishing question ?

chris1990

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2014
china
thanks for the reply mate , i got a light rated rod and 2000 spinning reel spool with 4lb line , i would like to know its limits

The limit of the 4 pound line depends on its physical makeup and the efficiency of the drag of your reel, and the action of your rod, and the skill of the fisherman and the conditions it is used in and the fish species you are after.

For example, if you've got a smooth quality reel and rod with some give and take, and are fishing in snag free water with a modern 4 pound test super line, then i'd say you could land a 20 pound plus fish (non-toothy of course) with 4 pound line.

But be warned, one hiccup with the drag, one submerged log or rock, one large toothy fish and 4 pound test line will snap with ease.

Another case scenario, i would never use 4 pound test to catch 6 pound large mouth bass. Because I know for a fact that the fish will dive into cover once hooked.

chris1990

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2014
china
thanks for the reply , my reel is shallow spool , this type is common in japanese market , give more casting distance but cannot put lots of line . my max is 6 pound if i want to put at least 80m on my spool

Oddballs

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2014
United States
It is for sure do able. I would change the line often because you never know when it might get nicked. Make sure you always retie after a few casts. Ive landed a 9lb largemouth on 5lb test split shooting. I also have caught an 11lber on 8lb so anything is do able with proper technique.

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
It's all about rod length, you could successfully land a 2,000 pound fish on 2 pound line if your rod was long enough and you handled the fish well.

blindkiller85

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2013
Orlando, FL
Drag, patience while fishing, and no snags is what really matters. My fav mono line is 10lb XXX spiderwire. Landed many many bass that are 6+ and my biggest was 9 lbs 9oz. I only use mono for LM in open water where the only snags are vegetation, FL being sandy I usually don't have a problem easing a 5-7lb bass out of the vegetation. Including the occasional soft shell turtle when I'm using shiners. If the drag is set right as well, I only lose 1-3 ft of line due to stretch at the end and I retie 2-3 times per trip.

chris1990

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2014
china
ive learnt that if im fighting fish that will not dart for cover and fight in open water , line strengh is not that important , fish with lots of stamina can pose a problem too by spooling out all the line .

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store