Colorful tankmates?

Jobu28

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2013
NC
I had discus in with my rays in my display tank. I loved the combo but it seems the discus just aren't thriving. I would like to change out the discus for something else. I was thinking peacock bass but was worried an adult would eat babies of I ever had any. Could red severums work? So any and all thoughts are appreciated.

jim barry

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2006
U.K
Severums are fine in my experience, but i have never had much luck keeping them for some reason they always get the pop eye syndrome.
I have kept five over the past 2 years but lost them all to the same thing.

spotfin

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2006
Maine
Perhaps some geophagus cichlids.

litigator666

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2008
clayfield, qld australia
how about some big bulky American cichlid? I have black belt, synpillum, red devil and coatzcolcos on my community. Some are aggressive to mid level swimmers but they all ignore my rays.

Raymann88

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2011
Canada
I have red spotted severums with my rays. Been together for years with no problems. Once in a while a ray will try to pin one down, but they always swim out. Rays are 16-18" and severums are 6". I've grown them up together. My only problem with the severums is that every time I move the group, one always dies. Its always only 1??

Jobu28

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2013
NC
Rayman can I see a pic of your tank? I would need to start with some decent sized sevs. My biggest ray is maybe 12" but i tried some 4" fish once. Got em all at night when lights go out.

vincentwugwg

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2013
New York Mets
Rayman can I see a pic of your tank? I would need to start with some decent sized sevs. My biggest ray is maybe 12" but i tried some 4" fish once. Got em all at night when lights go out.
Leaving a 'moon light' on at night will help with that. I have/had a school of cardinal tetras with my rays for many months and until recently(my friend's 3 yr old turned off my lights) the tetras were doing fine. I started with about a hundred tetras... lost most of them to Angelfish aggression. Now I have around 20 or so. I will try this combo once again without the Angelfish!:screwy:
Newtop1.jpg

Newtop1.jpg

UnstoppableJayD

MFK NNJ
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Jun 6, 2012
Northern NJ
Geo altifrons get big enough... and are colorful. Sevs work I have reds and red neck .. Electric blue dempseys may work if you can get them big enough also big clown loaches

Jobu28

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2013
NC
I don't think I will go with American cichlids but I think I might try some altifrons and sevs. The hunt is on, lol. I have a blue light I can try. I have seen my most aggressive girl take out a giant danio in broad daylight tho. I had a decent school of those, now I have 6, lol

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store