Recommendations for African biotope?

BobCat

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 3, 2007
Ireland
Hi.

I have an African themed tank with reedfish, butterfly fish, leopard bushfish and kribensis. Could anyone recommend a suckerfish for the tank? Is. Whiptail/ancistrus/plec etc. That would be in keeping with the African theme?

I am also getting some Congo tetras but am open to suggestions for other African fish that would fit in with the other species mentioned.

Thanks

Quo Vadis

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2014
Wisconsin
I dealt with the same problem... there is nothing I know of that fits this category that is widely available. The closest thing I know of are Asian garra species. Apparently there are African garras, which are not available in the hobby, but look similar. So if you went with and Asian garra species it would be sort of right. Otherwise probably just go the bristlenose route.

Quo Vadis

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2014
Wisconsin
Also, look into African eels and mormyrids! They are fun additions to the tank. I also have a West African tank with very similar species to what you have.

Quo Vadis

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2014
Wisconsin
And there are distichodus species, the silver stays smallerish. Also there are many rare west African cichlids if you have in interest in tracking them down, I have Pelmatochromis ocellifer, and some Madagascar Paretroplus (not quite geographically correct, but ok by my standards). Other cool cichlids include buffaloheads, and Tilapia joka. For dithers you can go Congo tetras, filament barbs, or African red eye tetras. I also have a dwarf giraffe catfish that I really like, although there are many Synodontis species as well.

BobCat

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 3, 2007
Ireland
What eels are there outside of the Tanganyika spinet eel?
I've been trying to track down a dwarf giraffe catfish for a while and have a shoal of xl Congo tetras on order.
An elephant nose or something similar interests me but in my experience they can be difficult to feed in a community setup.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Quo Vadis

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2014
Wisconsin
Re eels: Mastacembelus liberiensis. That species is from West Africa, not the rift lakes. I have one and he is super cool, and very outgoing. Right now much moreso than my fire eel. I got both him and Dwarf giraffe catfish from Wetspot, though they don't have either right now. I think one of the keys with EN is the quarantine them plenty long so they are eating well before they have to compete. And then feeding them at night right before all the lights in the room go out, when they'll have the advantage. Also, they really seem to need live food regularly to thrive, IMO.

BobCat

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 3, 2007
Ireland
I used to have a Senegal in there but he was a nasty piece of work. I'd worry about the tetras and kribs (there's a pair in there) in I were to go with another bicher.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store