How to do a painted backround

that_fish_Guy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2013
CA
How can I do a painted backround on a 60 gallon freshwater tank. I've never done it before. What paint type do I need and what do I apply it with. a brush? A roller? And also I want to go with black. Or blue

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

convict360

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
Scotland
I asked this recently, and got pointed towards the acrylic paint you get in arts and craft shops :) it goes on well with roller or brush, and can be peeled off if you don't like the effect :)

Sent from my Nexus 5 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Heretik

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2013
The Great White North
Exactly what Convict360 said. Every tank ive owned has been painted black with acrylic paint from a hobby shop.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

that_fish_Guy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2013
CA
Exactly what Convict360 said. Every tank ive owned has been painted black with acrylic paint from a hobby shop.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
Ok cool so do I do a thick or thin coat?will I need multiple coats? So I know how much to get. And on avarage how long will it take to dry.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

kiupuriash

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 12, 2014
paramount
I plastidip my black backgrounds easiest thing and if in have to sell the tank or get bored it peels right off.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
I plastidip my black backgrounds easiest thing and if in have to sell the tank or get bored it peels right off.
Yep that's what I did with my 55 gallon tank...goes on like spraypaint and peels right off if need be.

Keman

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2014
Auburn, wa
So is the plasti-dip on the outside of the glass? Or is it fish safe when cured and can be used in the water?

kiupuriash

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 12, 2014
paramount
So is the plasti-dip on the outside of the glass? Or is it fish safe when cured and can be used in the water?
Outside, like u would place a background or the acrylic paint. Just a few coats and u get a nice, pitch black background. B

Sent from my SGH-M919 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

noside

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 6, 2014
NJ
Outside of glass but I feel plastic dip is much more forgiving then paint when it comes to making it look even. If you have never spray painted something regular paint can look blotchy if you don't apply evenly.

If you've never used plasti dip what I do is one light coat all around then lay it on thick about 20 mins later right to where it starts to run.

Plasti dip is also a little more expensive then regular paint as you get less per can but I like it a lot because of it being only semi permanent. Very easy to remove in case you want to change or sell.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store