Need Some Advice Shuffling My Stock Around

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
So I've got one of my 20 highs (24"x12"x16") pretty much destroyed at this point. I just figured out what happened a few days ago (Thursday) and it's a massive Cyanobacteria outbreak that has killed my one and only very rare Pugnose minnow, 2 rainbow darters, 2 Greenside darters, and 2 swamp darters. The only unaffected fish are my pair of bluefin killifish, 3 silverjaw minnows, and 3 redside dace because they're suspended in the water column away from the bacteria. Medicine doesn't seem to be helping yet. I'm also setting up another 30 long (36"x12"x16") next Thursday via sponge filter instacycling and most of the fish for that tank will be collected next weekend (darters, shiners, etc). I'd like to move the silverjaw minnows and redside dace into the new tank but I'm afraid of cross contamination. I'd also like to get the Cyanobacteria infected tank cleared out of fish so I can break it down and bleach everything to get it healthy again plus I'd like to breed in that 20 high. Which of these options would you personally go with?

Option 1) leave the 20H alone and just keep treating with meds until it gets better and don't breed in that tank, only put new fish in the new 30L.

Option 2) move the bluefin killies in the 20H to their own 5.5 nano tank and move the redside dace and silverjaw minnows to the new 30L I'm setting up along with some new darters I'm getting and have a small chance of contaminating the new tank. Then break down the 20H and remake it as a breeding tank for other fish.

Option 3) move the Bluefin killies in the 20H to their own 5.5 nano tank and move the redside dace and silverjaw minnows to my 75G with some giant danios I'm sure they'd enjoy the company of as well as some larger catfish on the bottom. Only put new uncontaminated fish in the 30L and make the 20H a breeding tank.

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Any opinions are appreciated. I really need to make this decision in a day or two and it's a difficult choice.

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Somebody has to have something to say. I'm conflicted between options 1 and 2 to make it a bit easier so ignore option 3.

convict360

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
Scotland
Personally I wouldn't move possibly infected fish to a new tank, I'd treat the original tank with the fish inside it. Or at the very least move them to a third tank which can be broken down after making sure they aren't affected.

Bottom line is I wouldn't risk your second tank which has no problems.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Personally I wouldn't move possibly infected fish to a new tank, I'd treat the original tank with the fish inside it. Or at the very least move them to a third tank which can be broken down after making sure they aren't affected.

Bottom line is I wouldn't risk your second tank which has no problems.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
Alright. I've been treating the infected tank with fungus guard since Friday and none of the surviving fish are showing symptoms so I'm thinking they're good.

I C Mud

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2014
Winnipeg
Just a heads up, even if the fish appear fine this may not be the case and the stress of a move may cause the fish to show their illness and become sick or infect whatever other fish you plan to put them with. Convict360 is right on track. Move the fish to another tank.... alone.... and leave them for a very long time just to be sure.

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
dive is that a bacterial infection or a fungus? Either way I would treat that tank for a good long time with several meds. The anti fungal you are using now, and maybe something geared towards bacterial infections as well. I would just keep them in that tank as QT and treat there. Definitely wouldn't put them in the new 30 for a loooooong time.

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Just a heads up, even if the fish appear fine this may not be the case and the stress of a move may cause the fish to show their illness and become sick or infect whatever other fish you plan to put them with. Convict360 is right on track. Move the fish to another tank.... alone.... and leave them for a very long time just to be sure.
Alright.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store