Do you fight with your family/friends over this hobby?

FluffySackson

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 27, 2014
I do.....with my mom. I'm 15 years old, so I still live with her and I ALWAYS have to fight with her about my hobby. She knows NOTHING about fish and always yells at me things like "YOU DON'T NEED A TEST KIT" "FISH JUST NEED WATER TO SURVIVE THEY DON'T NEED THIS PRIME JUNK, IT'S A SCAM" And so on. Do you fight with your roommates/spouses over things like this too?

ChrisP75

Exodon
MFK Member
May 26, 2013
Sacramento
My girlfriend is pretty good about enjoying the tank but she gets "mad" when I tell her no she can't put certain fish in the tank. I think she understands just likes asking

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zapantha

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 12, 2012
American Canyon
I do.....with my mom. I'm 15 years old, so I still live with her and I ALWAYS have to fight with her about my hobby. She knows NOTHING about fish and always yells at me things like "YOU DON'T NEED A TEST KIT" "FISH JUST NEED WATER TO SURVIVE THEY DON'T NEED THIS PRIME JUNK, IT'S A SCAM" And so on. Do you fight with your roommates/spouses over things like this too?
I think the only way to get through to her is to show her chlorine burn- but that would involve knowingly harming a fish.... So maybe find a video

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Thankfully no. My mom has really supported and learned about my hobby since i started and can identify a good bit of fish as well as know how to take basic care of a tank. My dad is pretty much clueless but he supports me because he likes the DIY aspect.

zapantha

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 12, 2012
American Canyon
Thankfully no. My mom has really supported and learned about my hobby since i started and can identify a good bit of fish as well as know how to take basic care of a tank. My dad is pretty much clueless but he supports me because he likes the DIY aspect.
Well that's good, sounded like she didn't want to let you get prime anymore haha

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Evz jardini

Jardini
MFK Member
May 19, 2010
manchester /uk
My gf would be fine with a tank but I think four tanks , pipes everywhere whilst doing wc's, the smell of prime and air pumps rattling ( latest problem ) is getting to her a bit ;):p
Oh well she'll get over it :D

Sent from my Nexus 7 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Montelboom

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 20, 2014
Maryland
When I first started some people liked to "play" with my net and my fish were "hungry" now everyone knows not to mess with my tank in anyway unless i tell them and im present.

My mom and step dad are cool about it since they've had/have tanks. They're even getting me 75+ gal next month for my bday.

Sent from my SCH-R830C

mudbuttjones

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2014
Wisconsin
The wife puts up with it. My vibrating old filters In the bedroom bother me more than her.

We have a baby due in January and she "convinced" me to break down all my tanks in the basement. Kind of a mini fish room. We have to make room for a nursery and that means jamming a bunch of crap in the basement. Im actually glad now that I agreee. it was alot of work and im ok with focusing on my display tanks in my living space.

She puts up with it, but in the next year we are buying a house so I'll be testing her patience big time lol

Sent from my SCH-R950 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

quasar

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 16, 2012
Montreal, Quebec
Who's paying for the kit and prime?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

festaedan

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 25, 2013
Maryland
My parents are cool with it. Sometimes they remind me how great they are for letting their 13 year old have 25 tanks and ship the fish he's bred all over the US. Every once in a while they'll get mad because I make a mess or something but as long as I completely clean it up, its all good. My dad is kinda into it and my mom doesnt mind as long as I pay for it and I take care of them.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store