heater question

chris1990

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2014
china
first , sorry for being lazy , i know the answer to this question can be found on the net. Winter is coming soon and I would like to know the amount of watt heater i should buy for my brackish water tank . Tank dimension is 35cm lengh , 20 cm high and 20 cm width , i would like the water temperature to be around 24 degrees celcius .

deeda

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Medina, Ohio
What will be the normal temperature of the room the tank is located in?

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Hello; Whatever wattage you decide on, may I suggest that two heaters be used. If you need 200 watts, then use two 100 watt heaters.
If you need 150 watts use a 100 watt and a 50 watt or two 75 watt heaters.

chris1990

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2014
china
Hello; Whatever wattage you decide on, may I suggest that two heaters be used. If you need 200 watts, then use two 100 watt heaters.
If you need 150 watts use a 100 watt and a 50 watt or two 75 watt heaters.
very good suggestion , in case of failure of one still got one for backup . Now need an answer for the amount of wattage

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Hello; I ran the numbers. 35cm x20cm x 20cm = 14000 cm cubed. That appears to convert to 3.698 gallons if I am correct. For such a small tank a 25 watt heater with a good thermostat should be enough.

On that point, in my experience the quality of the thermostat more often plays a role than the specific wattage. With a good working thermostat the heater will shut off within the desired temperature range. Too much heater wattage for a tank, especially with only one heater, has the potential to overheat the water quickly if the thermostat fails. I tend to shy away from higher wattage heaters anymore and use what may be considered closer to minimal. Two or more heaters of modest wattage reduce the potential of cooking the tank in a failure.

That said, much will depend on the environment. A tank in a room of a house where the ambient temp is kept within a few degrees of the desired tank temp will need only a modest heater to make up the difference. A tank in a garage or basement may need stronger heaters to keep up.

I like to run two different wattage heaters, say a 50 watt and a 100 watt. I try to set the 50 watt to come on first as my tanks are in a heated room of my house. The 100 watt is set a few degrees cooler and only comes on when the smaller heater cannot keeep up.

Two heaters also help when one fails as the other may keep the tank warm enough untill a replacement can be had for the broken one.

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
I too would also recommend 2 heaters plus a temp controller. A temp controller is an extra safe guard to prevent overheating in case the built-in thermostsat on your heaters fail and get stuck in the "on" position......this is not uncommon and will cook your tank should it occur.

chris1990

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2014
china
Hello; If, in fact you have a tank of less than four gallons (14 to 16 liters) 50 watts seems a bit much.
ok ,will try to get 25w then , better be safe than sorry , dont want to shock my fish by a too fast temperature increase.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store