Advice on adding fish to considerably warmer growout tank

liberator177

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 16, 2007
michigan
Hello everyone. I currently have 1 peacock bass in a grow out tank. I just bought one to start out with because I have not raised a young fish or bought a tropical fish in several years and I wanted to make sure I still remembered how lol (I have been keeping fish the whole time, just had not gotten anything new). I would like to get a few more bass and possibly a few other species to go with him. Right now the tank is currently at 84-85 degrees which is still a little lower then people suggest for young bass but he seems to be doing good. My question is since I'm planning on adding a few more fish what should I do about the temperature difference since the lfs tanks would most likely be around 78 and may cool down a couple degrees on the way home? Can a fish handle a 6-8 degree temperature change if acclimated properly? I don't want to stress my bass out by lowering the temp then raising it again unless that would be the best option? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance,

-John

DDK

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 25, 2013
us
Well here's always a "better than safe" way to do it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZt8VN6Ysg4

I used to acclimate my guppies this way, they would die for some reason if I just let them chill in the bag inside the aquarium adding some tank water every 5-10 mins lol. So I would go straight to the bucket and then drip to change the temp.

But theoretically the temperature will only be a 1/2 difference change as you double the water in the bucket. As your tank water is 84 and the fishes bagged water is lets say 70, once the water has doubled in the bucket it will be 77 degrees, as 84-70=14, 14/2=7. So within three changes it will be around 82 degrees which I personally think is fine to throw them in.

But the bucket water will also cool down when dripping so after the first one or two slow drips you can speed the drip up and within 2 hours you should be done.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store