Growth Rate

FunWow!

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 30, 2008
Rhode Island
All comes down to feeding and water changes. A buddy of mine got his 2inch Indo to 18 inches in 3years... I to always thought they grew slow until seeing his.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

piscavore pisces

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 23, 2005
worldwide
All comes down to feeding and water changes. A buddy of mine got his 2inch Indo to 18 inches in 3years... I to always thought they grew slow until seeing his.

do you happen to know what his water change schedule was like? also how many other fish he was raised with? that's the fastest growth I've heard of but I only just started researching tigers.

gangster

Arapaima
MFK Member
Apr 17, 2008
mountains
I had a group of 20 indos i grew from 2"-10" or so in less than a year. I sold em off at various sizes. Key is wc's and massivore.

JayC74

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2012
Massachusetts, USA
do you happen to know what his water change schedule was like? also how many other fish he was raised with? that's the fastest growth I've heard of but I only just started researching tigers.
Other peoples wc schedules should be irrelevent. You need to find your own equation that works for you. As with any other type of fish, it's your bioload capacity that will determine this. He was raised with other fish & several other dats, but his success was a result of being co-owners of the tank along with my ST. He was confident, ate huge amounts of the right foods & was bathed in pristine water throughout..then my ST turned on him one day & decided he wanted to own the upper feeding regions of the tank all by himself, so i was forced to sell the IT unfortunately. He ate whole herring, massivore stuffed tilapia, mussel meat & loved fd krill for desert. Dats that aren't picky generally grow the fastest

piscavore pisces

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 23, 2005
worldwide
I had a group of 20 indos i grew from 2"-10" or so in less than a year. I sold em off at various sizes. Key is wc's and massivore.

That's pretty exceptional growth. I hope to achieve the same.

Other peoples wc schedules should be irrelevent. You need to find your own equation that works for you. As with any other type of fish, it's your bioload capacity that will determine this. He was raised with other fish & several other dats, but his success was a result of being co-owners of the tank along with my ST. He was confident, ate huge amounts of the right foods & was bathed in pristine water throughout..then my ST turned on him one day & decided he wanted to own the upper feeding regions of the tank all by himself, so i was forced to sell the IT unfortunately. He ate whole herring, massivore stuffed tilapia, mussel meat & loved fd krill for desert. Dats that aren't picky generally grow the fastest
Good point. I was just curious if you were doing something crazy like water changes everyday or something like that. Bio filtration does matter of course but in a mature tank water changes are used mainly to get rid of nitrates so the more you feed the more nitrates will be present. I know you know this already. Your collection is inspiring. But anyway I plan on dealing with nitrates with a buttload of pothos in my sump.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

JayC74

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2012
Massachusetts, USA
I do 50 to 60% about once every 4days to rid nitrates. Also rinse my foam inserts consistantly every other waterchange in my wetdry. I've had to up the foam rinsing due to the increase in pellet feeding for my loaches. Keeping the filters pristine is just as important to me as wc's themselves for keeping my fishes appetites the way they should be...I saw u mentioned maybe a drip system in your other thread for your setup someday..i believe T1karman has a system like this, he might be able to chime in to give u help with this if needed

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store