Inactive Bullhead

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
I got my first yellow bullhead back at the end of June at around 3.75-4" because all I was hearing about them was that they are extremely active at feeding time and often cruise the tank and surface feed once food hits the water. Well at this he's about 7" and shows none of those characteristics. He never leaves his cave, won't surface feed, and won't even come out of his cave a few inches for food that floats in front of his face. I have to hand feed him every night directly into his cave because he can't get food other ways and the farthest I've gotten him to venture out for food from my hand is about 3" with just his head sticking out. I have no idea why he's like this and it's not typical bullhead behavior at all, I'd like to get him to be more active so if anybody has some suggestions feel free to say them. I also know he's not acting normal because I'm growing out three 2.25" yellow bullheads in a 5.5G (very temporary tank) and they're out swimming all day as well as handfeed from the surface during lights on, they approach my hand as soon as it hits the water. I've had the little three since they were 1.5" and I think maybe the size I got my original one at (4") may be the problem with him not being active but I have no idea.

Aquaculture Tyler

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 8, 2013
Alamosa Colorado
I got my first yellow bullhead back at the end of June at around 3.75-4" because all I was hearing about them was that they are extremely active at feeding time and often cruise the tank and surface feed once food hits the water. Well at this he's about 7" and shows none of those characteristics. He never leaves his cave, won't surface feed, and won't even come out of his cave a few inches for food that floats in front of his face. I have to hand feed him every night directly into his cave because he can't get food other ways and the farthest I've gotten him to venture out for food from my hand is about 3" with just his head sticking out. I have no idea why he's like this and it's not typical bullhead behavior at all, I'd like to get him to be more active so if anybody has some suggestions feel free to say them. I also know he's not acting normal because I'm growing out three 2.25" yellow bullheads in a 5.5G (very temporary tank) and they're out swimming all day as well as handfeed from the surface during lights on, they approach my hand as soon as it hits the water. I've had the little three since they were 1.5" and I think maybe the size I got my original one at (4") may be the problem with him not being active but I have no idea.
From my experience(s) when I kept one of mine in a smaller sized tank/ or the tank is decorated and doesn't have much swimming room it would just sit there and once he got moved to a 8 foot long tank it would swim around the majority of the day. My largest bullhead was lazy so he would sit the majority of the time so it could just be your bullheads personality.

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
From my experience(s) when I kept one of mine in a smaller sized tank/ or the tank is decorated and doesn't have much swimming room it would just sit there and once he got moved to a 8 foot long tank it would swim around the majority of the day. My largest bullhead was lazy so he would sit the majority of the time so it could just be your bullheads personality.

That could be it, just lazy by his personality :). I did get him to come out about 6" two nights ago though so maybe a little bit of progress there. I had my hand out 9-10" and he came out 6" so he could vacuum shrimp pellets from my hand.

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
I wouldn't worry about it dive. My bullheads the exact same way, and I got him around 4". Mine spends 99.9% of his time tangled up in the hornwart and pothos in the corner of his tank. He won't surface feed but then again I've never actually tried to get him to. Mine does come up and see if I have food if I put my hand in the tank however, but only if I'm close enough that he doesn't have to swim far lol.

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Tried to get him to come out tonight and he stuck his head out about 1.5" at the most. I'm hoping he'll feel more comfortable coming out as he grows. I guess dither isn't helping since I have very hyper giant danios in the tank that I thought might encourage him to come out, if anything they might be scaring him. They'll be gone fairly soon though once I get a new addition later this week that I'm thinking might eat them as an appetizer. I had an idea that once the other fish in this tank are upgraded (gibbiceps pleco and secret new addition) I might not upgrade the bullhead and instead give him the entire 75G to himself unless he absolutely needed upgraded (12"+) and I could make half the tank a false elevated bottom so he's active and I can plainly view him, just not in the light.

Aquaculture Tyler

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 8, 2013
Alamosa Colorado
Tried to get him to come out tonight and he stuck his head out about 1.5" at the most. I'm hoping he'll feel more comfortable coming out as he grows. I guess dither isn't helping since I have very hyper giant danios in the tank that I thought might encourage him to come out, if anything they might be scaring him. They'll be gone fairly soon though once I get a new addition later this week that I'm thinking might eat them as an appetizer. I had an idea that once the other fish in this tank are upgraded (gibbiceps pleco and secret new addition) I might not upgrade the bullhead and instead give him the entire 75G to himself unless he absolutely needed upgraded (12"+) and I could make half the tank a false elevated bottom so he's active and I can plainly view him, just not in the light.
I think I might know what the new secret addition might be lol

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
I think I might know what the new secret addition might be lol

Yeah I know I told you :). And youtube would not let me respond to your comment about it, yeah it's for my 75G but I think I'm going to skip QT since the smallest tank I have available is a 20T.

Anthony Nolet

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 12, 2012
Oregon
My 14 incher used to cruise around all the time and come up the the surface and eat the floating pellets that weren't his. But now he won't come out with the light on. He didn't mind for 2 years but now he just chills in his tube. But Earl is all over the tank all day and night

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store