Wintering an Outdoor Tropical

pshtex

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 8, 2010
united states
This year i have decided to try and winter my tank outside. I put r-13 insulation on the exterior walls of the stand, and added more r-13 around the sump. Built a styrofoam frame to be able to add r-30 insulation around the outside of the aquarium its self. Also going to cover 2/3 of the top of tank with r-30. Also i am going to build semi-permanent walls around the aquarium.If anyone is interested to see how things go over the winter speak up or i will not be adding to this.

Dieselhybrid

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2010
Here
Texas is huge, with many climate zones. What area? Definitely could work in Houston area. Using heaters in sump?

I'm interested. What's the stock?

Sent from my SM-N900T using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

pshtex

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 8, 2010
united states
I live 2 hrs east of Houston. Stock is datnoids and Triportheus elongatus. Heaters are in the tank, sump is plastic. There are still a few things i need to do to finish up. As of right now i am planning on leave the front exposed but not sure if this will work

Dieselhybrid

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2010
Here
I think this could work with strong enough heaters and a heater controllers.

What's the lowest it gets? 40's

Sent from my SM-N900T using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

mudbuttjones

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2014
Wisconsin
Its possible. I live in Wisconsin. It gets damn cold here. Everyone knows that.

When I was a broke bachelor I lived in a total dive apartment with vaulted ceilings, bay windows, and literally no insulation. Huge place, about 130 years old. We didn't have any money, it cost us damn near $300 a month in gas just to keep the place between 50* and 60* during the day in the dead of winter. at night it dipped even colder. Maybe High 40's. We Didnt nead a coat rack, you came in and just kept it on lol. Really convenient.

I tossed blankets on my 75g at night which sat in front of the bay window. It stayed at 76* all winter with just 2 150 watt heaters. They were pretty much on all the time though, and 300w is a little low for a tank that size imo.

My basement gets into the low 50's during the winter at my new apt. I've got one tank down there that I insulated with blue foam, it stays at temp without the little red light being on constantly.

I would think with a good controller and enough watts you'll be fine. Insulation makes a huge difference. Just be ready to pay the power company.

Sent from my SCH-R950 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

chopsteeks

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 2, 2013
Denver
Its possible. I live in Wisconsin. It gets damn cold here. Everyone knows that.

When I was a broke bachelor I lived in a total dive apartment with vaulted ceilings, bay windows, and literally no insulation. Huge place, about 130 years old. We didn't have any money, it cost us damn near $300 a month in gas just to keep the place between 50* and 60* during the day in the dead of winter. at night it dipped even colder. Maybe High 40's. We Didnt nead a coat rack, you came in and just kept it on lol. Really convenient.

I tossed blankets on my 75g at night which sat in front of the bay window. It stayed at 76* all winter with just 2 150 watt heaters. They were pretty much on all the time though, and 300w is a little low for a tank that size imo.

My basement gets into the low 50's during the winter at my new apt. I've got one tank down there that I insulated with blue foam, it stays at temp without the little red light being on constantly.

I would think with a good controller and enough watts you'll be fine. Insulation makes a huge difference. Just be ready to pay the power company.

Sent from my SCH-R950 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
My hats off to you !!

You win the monsterfish most dedicated hobbyist award for finding ways to continue enjoying the hobby despite the odds !!

Gill Blue

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2011
michigan
you could always put some hooks in a sheet of the styrofoam to hang on the edge of the tank so you can have the front open during the day and insulated at night.

pshtex

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 8, 2010
united states
you could always put some hooks in a sheet of the styrofoam to hang on the edge of the tank so you can have the front open during the day and insulated at night.
So i took this idea and added to it. I used styrofoam and aluminum foil to make a radiant barrier for the front.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store