Power source?

Nigelk8485

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 3, 2014
Louisville, KY
So it looks like in two weeks I'll be moving and will be able to finally get my 150 gallon from the guy I bought it from. I'm extremely excited and just trying to get a list of things that I'll need to get while it's cycling. I live in Louisville Kentucky and it's about to be winter so I want some backup power source in case the electricity goes out. What do you all have as a backup power source in the event your power goes down? The cheaper the better, but efficiency and reliability take top priority.

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

ChrisM101

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 5, 2014
Paris, AR,United States
I live in a rural area and our only option is a generator and a propane heater.
Check around for about 275 you can get a 3200 watt generator from like harbor freight.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

reptilerescued

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2014
nepa
Hurricane cat 5 air pump & sponge filters.
Cheaper then a Generator and come on automatically when the power fails.

Rich

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Look up how to dose tanks with Hydrogen Peroxide. Do it right and you're simply pouring oxygen into the water.

chris1990

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2014
china
in winter , my main concern would be cooling off of my tank , if the tank not overstocked oxygen should not be a big problem .I would go for an electric generator to power my heater as it can be hard work to have to prepare heated water changes for the tank

Nigelk8485

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 3, 2014
Louisville, KY
I don't care about giving power to the whole place. Usually power is restored within 12-24 hours. Basically just wanting to keep my heater and fluval fx5 running. My tank won't be overstocked but will have an oscar in there so I need to be sure the waste doesn't build up. Would you think 3000 watts would be okay?

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

flukekiller

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 2, 2014
gloucester, va 23061
add up the wattage your heaters/pumps ect use and double it. you can get a smaller portable generator for like $100-$150 .. i would look
at something in the 1000-1500 watts unless you want to run your fridge and stuff then get bigger.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store