Turning filter off for 4/5 hours a day?

ss720

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 20, 2005
Norway
I'm curious if it's possible for me to turn off my fluval fx6 for 3-5 hours a day without impacting my tank too much..

I have a 190 gallon tank, with one fx6 and 2 eheim 2217.

They all have purigen, eheim substrate pro and pads.

I keep some predatory fishes, and I feed them once every second day, and do 1-2 water changes a week about 50%.

Reason I want to turn off the fx6 is the noise emitting from the canister prevents me from falling asleep easily.

So I just need it to be off for a small amount of time, so I can fall asleep.

3-5 hours seems excessive now that I think about it, perhaps 1-2 hours is enough.
I'll be using a timer.

What do you think?

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

ehh

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2013
New Mexico
Why would you want to do this? Doesn't the bacteria in the filter need some oxygen exchange too. Would turning the filter off harm the bb?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

convict360

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
Scotland
Just deal with the noise. I used to try the same thing, but you potentially starve bacteria of oxygen etc which is a big no no.

Its crap for the first 2-3 nights, but you get used to it. I now have 3 air stones, an internal, a trickle filter, and a hob on in my room at night, trust me you learn to "filter" it out.

Not apologising for that pun.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
I would think that it wouldn't be an issue for the BB, but this depends on how heavy of a bioload you have in the tank. The only way to verify of this is causing an impact is to test your water parameters daily for about 2 months or more. I used to turn off 1 of my filters, in my bedroom tanks, for about 7 hours every night because it was too noisy and it was never caused any issues

ss720

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 20, 2005
Norway
Just deal with the noise. I used to try the same thing, but you potentially starve bacteria of oxygen etc which is a big no no.

Its crap for the first 2-3 nights, but you get used to it. I now have 3 air stones, an internal, a trickle filter, and a hob on in my room at night, trust me you learn to "filter" it out.

Not apologising for that pun.

Been dealing with the noise for a couple of months now.
Starting to hate it. Considering changing it to a more silent eheim, but money isn't available, and I like it if it weren't for the noise.

So say just for an hour or two.

Or I need to find a way to insulate the noise, but how?
My cabinet has huge holes in the back for hoses.
Maybe just wrap it around some foam that's heat resistant or something?

Edit: removed profanity used to emphasize my dislike of the noise.

convict360

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
Scotland
This might sound daft, but you could try introducing a noise that isn't super annoying. Like leaving your television on timer on a music channel. Still be loud, but it won't annoy you, and will mask the sound of the filter till you fall asleep.

ss720

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 20, 2005
Norway
This might sound daft, but you could try introducing a noise that isn't super annoying. Like leaving your television on timer on a music channel. Still be loud, but it won't annoy you, and will mask the sound of the filter till you fall asleep.

Could work sometimes, but just don't see that as a good long term solution.

However, I'll just leave it on for tonight, and deal with it tomorrow.
Just use my earphones as silencers for now as I've been doing for quite a while.

reptilerescued

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2014
nepa
Stick it in a 5 gallon bucket with foam on the bottom and sides then a foam plug on the top cut around the hoses.

That is if it doesn't run to hot. Wouldn't want ya to burn up the motor, if ya did it'd be "dead quite" then.

And I'm not apologizing for that pun either LOL
Rich

ss720

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 20, 2005
Norway
Stick it in a 5 gallon bucket with foam on the bottom and sides then a foam plug on the top cut around the hoses.

That is if it doesn't run to hot. Wouldn't want ya to burn up the motor, if ya did it'd be "dead quite" then.

And I'm not apologizing for that pun either LOL
Rich
Think I'll just foam inside the cabinet instead, and foam the gaps in the back as well.
Can't think of a place that sells buckets that would fit a fx6 and would fit in my cabinet.

What kind of foam should I use? Are there anything in particular I should be looking for?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store