Using two 75 gallon tanks to make a 4x4?

KiiNGGiiNGER

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2013
Marietta, Ohio
Has anyone around here ever taken apart two 75 gallon tanks, cut them apart and used the long sides to make a 4x4' tank? I know DIY Joey did something similar but I was wondering if anyone had any personal experience doing this with 75 gallon tanks and if so any helpful info is appreciated. I made my DIY plywood tank on my own and one lady I work with has a 75 gallon tank with a single reticulated stingray and she was looking to do this to make him a larger tank and I thought I could help her.

fishguy306

Peacock Bass
Community Vendor
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2005
Illinois
So long as you brace the top properly, use a proper base and good silicone you should have no problem using the long pieces. Not sure what you had in mind for the base? You could do either a sealed plywood or glass, I would probably pay for the glass as it will likely work better long term. You will want to euro brace the tank with a support going each way across the center meeting in the middle. Use some RTV 103 or 108 and you should be good.

Once you get the two 75's apart and the necessary glass and silicone purchased it should be no different from building a tank from scratch. Clean and prep your glass, apply the silicone and clamp the panels into place

KiiNGGiiNGER

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2013
Marietta, Ohio
Looking at using a plywood base, and alright thank you alot for the info Ill look into how I want to cross brace the top and the rest should be pretty straight forward.

coolkeith

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 1, 2005
Detroit
That sure is super nice of you. I usually pull out my excuse book when co-workers ask for help. DIY aquarium projects are almost always difficult. They usually take lots of planning, time, and require lots of work space, and a flat work bench. Saw dust gets everywhere too. So I sure wouldn't want to be stuck in the middle of a co-workers (or best friend's) DIY aquarium project. I think it's asking for trouble, especially if they have a small budget, don't have their own tools, and don't really know what they are doing. You may end up doing all the work yourself, but when she does try to help, she screws something up. You also got to work around their schedule. Then if something goes wrong, you take most, if not all of the blame. You may end up avoiding this person for the rest of your life and you may never get your tools back if you leave them at their house. That's the downside. Upside is that if things go smoothly, you have a friend for life. Maybe.

fishguy306

Peacock Bass
Community Vendor
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2005
Illinois
Coolkeith does have a point, please be very sure of your abilities if doing this for a friend. There is the potential for something to go wrong and if it does with water in the tank it will be a very expensive issue. That said, cover your butt and it could be a fun time.

Ok, warning out of the way, here is what I would consider doing. For the plywood base, I would do a double bottom, so one sheet on top of the other. The top one should be slightly smaller, giving it a lip all the way around the edge that is the width of your glass. That way, after you have sealed the plywood and it comes time to silicone you have two edges to silicone to. A bit of extra strength never hurts. Please let me know if I didn't make it clear what I'm suggesting.

As for the braces, yes, I would do glass. I would do a 4 or 5" rim of glass around all four sides with a strip going across in each direction. The braces can probably be 3 or 4". In the center you'll have to figure out some sort of fancy work since they will be at the same height, but I would go with something along these lines. You want to make sure this tank is pretty well braced.

coolkeith

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 1, 2005
Detroit
Coolkeith does have a point, please be very sure of your abilities if doing this for a friend. There is the potential for something to go wrong and if it does with water in the tank it will be a very expensive issue. That said, cover your butt and it could be a fun time.
I'd also probably tell the person to re-home the fish before attempting to build a 4x4 tank out of the tank that the ray is currently being kept in. My question would be where do you keep the ray when the new tank is being built? Better off building an indoor pond that can hold multiple rays. Most important, don't cannibalize the tank that the ray is currently being kept in.

fishguy306

Peacock Bass
Community Vendor
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2005
Illinois
Some more very good points. Even if building this tank goes perfectly, from start to finish it will be at least a few weeks until it is ready to see water. Several days for the plywood to dry after treatment and two weeks for the silicone to finish curing.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store