How's this stocking sound?

Nigelk8485

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 3, 2014
Louisville, KY
It'll be 150 gallon (72x18x28) with a fluval fx5 and an emperor 400, I'll have an extra if needed. My stocking plan is:
One red oscar
One electric blue acara
One banded leporinus
5 silver dollars
One synodontis euptera

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
Oscar will probably end up eating acara at some point. Leporinus will grow fast and become super annoying and shreds everybodies fin

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
Really? I've seen acaras listed as some of the best tankmates for oscars. But yeah the leporinus seems to be evenly split between being perfect fish or being a complete handful to deal with.

This all depends on the size/growth rate differences between the oscar and acara, and the aggressiveness of the oscar.

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
Yeah, understood. I'd be getting them both at about 1.5-2.5". Do you know the growth rate of the acara compared to the oscar?

No personal experience with acaras, but at an average size of about 6" I would assume they are going to grow slower than a large fish like an an oscar. You should grow the acaras to around 4" first then try add a small oscar at that point.

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
I personally think the acara would be fine as long as they're similar size. My electric blue acara will be the crap out of any fish that gets in its way.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store