Local petsmart has red tail tinfoil barbs at a dollar

reptilerescued

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2014
nepa
Everything I bought from them came with a free dose of ICK. So make sure to quarantine them before just dumping them in.
But if you have the QT tank not a bad deal.
Rich

Binge

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2014
Ohio
I see comments like the one above a lot.
I have gotten lots of fish from pet smart only one that was ill was a small polypterus he needed deworming. Otherwise have never had problems. But the manager at my pet smart keeps fish himself so perhaps that is the difference.

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
I see comments like the one above a lot.
I have gotten lots of fish from pet smart only one that was ill was a small polypterus he needed deworming. Otherwise have never had problems. But the manager at my pet smart keeps fish himself so perhaps that is the difference.
+1.......but I have been to some Petsmart where I cringed

convict360

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
Scotland
Most fish shops are terrible now, I only know one that quarantines new arrivals for 1-2 weeks before putting in display tanks, and have only ever seen one sick fish from them.

As opposed to money grabbing LFS' that churn through fish quickly, in what is probably the hope that you buy quickly before diseases manifest themselves.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Gill Blue

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2011
michigan
I only know one that quarantines new arrivals for 1-2 weeks before putting in display tanks,
I have never seen any store do this. your fish stores must be bigger than ours. only the big chain stores might have room to do this around here.

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
I have never seen any store do this. your fish stores must be bigger than ours. only the big chain stores might have room to do this around here.
I've read that The Wet Spot in Portland Oregon supposedly has a separate facility to qt all their fish, and each tank has its own individual filtration system.

reptilerescued

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2014
nepa
I've read that The Wet Spot in Portland Oregon supposedly has a separate facility to qt all their fish, and each tank has its own individual filtration system.
Good to know as we are placing our final fish order from them this coming weekend.
But then I've never heard/read anything but good about them, we were delighted to find that they have what we need since our last order has to be by mail.

I think the big part of the problem with big chains like PS are the fact that each tier of tanks is connected via same filtration. So one bad fish infects them all.
Rich

ChrisM101

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 5, 2014
Paris, AR,United States
Oh ive got the ick in the past at petsmart, their water always smells so bad. I certainly put them in a 10 g with melafix pimafix for 3 days and will move them maybe by this weekend.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store