stocking my 180 gallon planted tank

the lion who ate the sun

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2014
georgia
Hey guys! I just picked up my 180 gallon setup! I stripped the stand yesterday, and will be giving it a professional stain tonight. By Sunday the tank will be 'scaped and ready to go!

All that remains is to determine what fish will go in it.

So far I have:

11 inch Senegal Bichir x2

4 inch Clown Loach x4

5 inch raphael catfish x1

Those guys are all migrating from an existing tank.

I'm thinking about getting a pair of delhezi bichir and a pair of spotted gar. Will this work? I have heard that putting a gar straight into a ᤾180 can cause it to get really big. Can anyone confirm this? Is a short nosed gar a more reasonable choice for a 180?

Anyone have alternative ideas? How are peacock bass? I want some really unique monster fish! I couldnt be more excited to have finally aquired the means!

:headbang2 :grinno: :ROFL:

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Actually from what I've heard, it's best to start gar in a small tank and work them to a large setup as when they're small and they get startled in a large tank it gives them enough time to build up a large amount of momentum to smash into the side of the tank which will hurt their snout. I also would do Florida Gars in a 180 if you want gar, spotteds are a bit to large for a 6'x2' IMO.

the lion who ate the sun

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2014
georgia
Hrmm... so it wont impact its growth? That was my primary concern. I definitely dont want to put a fish in a tank that's too small. It makes me sick on my stomach to see people with arowana in 125/150/180 gallon tanks :(

Edit:

I am looking into padding the sides of the tank with aquarium safe foam to prevent the issue you mentioned.

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Hrmm... so it wont impact its growth? That was my primary concern. I definitely dont want to put a fish in a tank that's too small. It makes me sick on my stomach to see people with arowana in 125/150/180 gallon tanks :(

Edit:

I am looking into padding the sides of the tank with aquarium safe foam to prevent the issue you mentioned.
Heres some nice material. It talks about how gars need a small tank when young and bigger as they grow. http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?419773-Proper-Husbandry-for-Your-Gar

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store